The Student Room Group

Changing courses- english to law

Hey guys. Just wanted to ask a quick question. Last year I applied to unis wanting to study English. It was, and still is a huge passion of mine, and I of course love to read (comes with the nature of the subject really). I have been lucky enough to receive some great offers from Russell Groups. However, since I applied in October, I have been absolutely immersing myself in law work experience with multiple firms, and talking to those that study law. It's now a definite career path goal of mine, despite knowing how competitive it is. However, I obviously put down that I wanted to study an English degree. I do know that I can do a GDL conversion course after my English degree, however I'd love to study law at degree level due to the breadth of topics not covered in the conversion course. I wondered the chances of me being able to ask the uni to switch my course- don't worry it's for a university that does not require the LNAT at all. So I would be asking to switch from English to Law. I'd just love to immerse myself in learning law at undergrad level rather than wait a few years, plus I'd love the connections that studying law at undergrad brings (even though I know that you can still go to law soc as a non-law student). Was just wondering if anyone had had any similar experiences, and if this would be feasible? My predicted grades are good, and I am set to achieve above the required grades for my current offers. Thanks :smile:
Yeah, you can ask but there's no guarantee they'll let you switch from an already fairly competitive degree to an extremely competitive degree.
As above, all you can do is ask - email or phone the Uni asap.

Just be aware that the answer may be No, in which case, what is your Plan B.
You can only ask and see what the uni says. If they say no you cannot swap then you have to drop out of English and look for a law degree available through clearing.
Original post by niamhaliceee
Hey guys. Just wanted to ask a quick question. Last year I applied to unis wanting to study English. It was, and still is a huge passion of mine, and I of course love to read (comes with the nature of the subject really). I have been lucky enough to receive some great offers from Russell Groups. However, since I applied in October, I have been absolutely immersing myself in law work experience with multiple firms, and talking to those that study law. It's now a definite career path goal of mine, despite knowing how competitive it is. However, I obviously put down that I wanted to study an English degree. I do know that I can do a GDL conversion course after my English degree, however I'd love to study law at degree level due to the breadth of topics not covered in the conversion course. I wondered the chances of me being able to ask the uni to switch my course- don't worry it's for a university that does not require the LNAT at all. So I would be asking to switch from English to Law. I'd just love to immerse myself in learning law at undergrad level rather than wait a few years, plus I'd love the connections that studying law at undergrad brings (even though I know that you can still go to law soc as a non-law student). Was just wondering if anyone had had any similar experiences, and if this would be feasible? My predicted grades are good, and I am set to achieve above the required grades for my current offers. Thanks :smile:

As everyone says, all you can do is ask Admissions (no harm in asking and it won't jeapodise your offer for English in any way). However, this is a very oversubscribed year unfortunately so it is likely that a lot of the top unis will be full for Law. If you find that you are unable to switch then you have 2 options really, to see what is available in Clearing this year (Adjustment is no longer available) or to take a year out and reapply for Law in 2023. If you still love English then it's not a bad idea to continue with your current course and then convert to Law at a later stage through a postgraduate diploma, but still worth talking to your unis about the possibility of changing to Law at this stage.
Original post by harrysbar
As everyone says, all you can do is ask Admissions (no harm in asking and it won't jeapodise your offer for English in any way). However, this is a very oversubscribed year unfortunately so it is likely that a lot of the top unis will be full for Law. If you find that you are unable to switch then you have 2 options really, to see what is available in Clearing this year (Adjustment is no longer available) or to take a year out and reapply for Law in 2023. If you still love English then it's not a bad idea to continue with your current course and then convert to Law at a later stage through a postgraduate diploma, but still worth talking to your unis about the possibility of changing to Law at this stage.

What do you think the situation will be like next year when reapplying 2023 for law?
Reply 6
You can maybe study this at the Open University.
Original post by LawApplicant03
What do you think the situation will be like next year when reapplying 2023 for law?

Slightly less competitive than this year as this years students are having to compete with a larger than average number of students who deferred/took a gap year last year (plus Teacher Assessed Grades were generally overinflated which meant there were significantly more students than normal in 2021 achieving A*/A grades).

Law at Kings is always super competitive, even in a "normal" year, same as LSE & UCL.

https://wonkhe.com/blogs/end-of-cycle-increased-grades-in-2021-will-create-increased-competition-for-places-in-2022/

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/oct/09/uk-university-applicants-facing-stiffest-competition-in-years

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending