The Student Room Group

Marketing degree vs Finance and accounting degree

Hi guys , I recently decided that I want to go into marketing and more specifically sales. I am torn between a marketing degree and a finance degree. I have heard that a finance degree is a lot more academic but I wanted to know your guys position. Currently i am holding a offer from York for marketing.
Reply 1
Original post by Stranger540
Hi guys , I recently decided that I want to go into marketing and more specifically sales. I am torn between a marketing degree and a finance degree. I have heard that a finance degree is a lot more academic but I wanted to know your guys position. Currently i am holding a offer from York for marketing.

I would separate the idea of going into sales from the decision process of choice of study subject. One could get into sales regardless of what degree they hold. Its more a personality thing. Do you enjoy selling? Do you thrive on target driven nature of sales? As a subject, marketing is more strategic and the sales element is also likely to be strategic. Do you like the idea of studying marketing? Are you interested in marketing more than you are in finance? Why would you want to go into finance? Do you find it interesting? Going back to the subject of sales, it depends a lot on what you will be selling. If selling a financial product or even a financial technology product, it might be more helpful to study finance than marketing. You could study engineering or computer science but still end up in sales. This again depends on what you would be selling. For now I'd advise you to consider what subject you would enjoy studying. All the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending