This discussion is closed.
manps
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hi,
I have another stats Q i need help with.

This question is about calculating conditional probabilities such as of A\B and the factthat conditional probabilities referring to A\B and B \ A are not equal, as oftensupposed by people in 'real life', It is also about appreciating the numerical values ofprobabilities in practical situations.

A fire insurance company has high-risk, medium-risk and low-risk policy holders who have, respectively, probabilities 0.02, 0.01 and 0.0025 of making claims within a given year. The proportions of the numbers of policy holders in the three categories are 0.10, 0.20 and 0.70, respectively.

(i) By considering the law of total probability, obtain the probability of a randomly selected policy holder making a claim; comment on whether your answer is plausible. By saying 'randomly selected', the above proportions can be used as probabilities.

Ok well the law of total probability is
P(B) = P(B|A)P(A) + P(B|A`)P(A`)
but i don't know what is B and what is A? I'm not sure what the difference between P(A) and P(A`) is either.
Help please :tsr:
davidreesjones
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
p(A) is the probability that event A happens
p(A') is the probability that it doesnt

so P(A') = 1 - p(A)

in this quesion event B is the policy holder making a claim, but the "law" cant be applied like this

p(making a claim) = p(claims|high risk)*p(high risk) + p(claims|med risk)*p(medrisk) + p(claims|lowrisk)*p(low risk)

= 0.02*0.1 + .01*.2+.0025*.7
= 0.0215
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads