This discussion is closed.
RJ555
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi. I'm interested to know from law students as to what they find/found to be the hardest module (compulsary really) of their degree. I'm a first year and struggling with contracts, I've heard equity and trusts is alot harder?

It would be good if current second and third years would rank the difficulty of their modules, see if there is a consensus.
TommehR
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think I've found Contract to be the hardest, but that might be because we studied it in the first year and it was quite a big shock to the system. Some of the concepts are quite tough to get your head around as a legal novice and the sheer number of cases made it very difficult for me to revise well.

I hated hated hated Land Law, but I think that was because I found it incredibly dull rather than particularly difficult. I know that a lot of people have real difficulty with equity and trusts but I found that it eventually all clicked into place and wasn't overly troublesome in the end.
Citizen Zero
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
EU law is pretty ghastly. Not sure if it's the level of difficulty, or whether it's just damn boring, but I hate it right now.
NeoNerd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
As a Scottish student, my requirements are slightly different, but I'd have to say EU law - boring complicated and byzantine.
LO :)
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've not been doing it long but I'd say Public. I really struggle with it.
TommehR
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
EU Law is just daft. Every single case seems to have been brought unnecessarily by the Commission, probably trying to justify the 20,000 lawyers they employ (or whatever the exact number is).
Happy1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Equity and trusts... well it is at my uni... to the point where its only finalists taking it. Hate it hate it hate it. Hmph.
leeb17
Report 12 years ago
I can't comment on Equity and Trusts but the hardest for me in 2nd year is EU, but thats probably because I can't stand the subject, its so boring. I tend to find the subjects I really enjoy the easiest, probably because I constantly do work for them ie. Land and Criminal.
pcok
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hmm...we have an interesting lecturer for EU, and last lecture wasn't actually boring, but I guess EU is the worst one. I don't have a clue how I'm going to remember the wierd case names. That's why criminal is great; most of the cases have really short and easy names!
Maryam321
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
;/ this is making me majorlyyy worried about uni next year...woopdedoo
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Personally, it was a toss up between Contract and a compulsary module I did in second year (a Scottish LLB incidentally) on Mercantile Law. The latter is included not because it was difficult really, just because it was so boring, dry and full of fairly arbitrary rules.

(Original post by NeoNerd)
As a Scottish student, my requirements are slightly different, but I'd have to say EU law - boring complicated and byzantine.
I didn't find it all that boring at all, but then again I was quite interested in the political structures.

That said, I found studying Byzantine law quite interesting too. :p:
Danny_777
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Equity and Trusts. The concepts are very abstract, and difficult to relate to.

I find that module HELL.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It is, to a large extent, personal.

Contract is actually pretty easy, once you get your head around it. You simply need to work out in your heads what the seperate requirements for things are, and then work it through systematically. Its just seperating the actual rules from pointless ****.
e.g. a contract: what do I need?
- Agreement - Smith v Hughes
- Intent to create legal relations - Balfour v Balfour

Alright, Misrepresentations. What do they allow you to do? Claim damages for breach of contract; rescind in particularly difficult cases.
requirements for a misrep? 1,2,3,4 BAM

Equity is by FAR the hardest at my uni. 2 reasons. One, it is the kind of subject where the courts pretty much just do what they feel like and then justify it with ridiculous flowery rhetoric. Once you realise its fact, the law of trusts itself is no problem. Equity courses which are just the law of trusts are easy once you understand this. Second, the people that teach my course are all restitution lawyers who think that the law of Trusts doesn't really exist, and its all really restitution, so the course is focused rather broadly on this.
The_Goose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
criminal... i just don't get it
emmings
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For me it was definitely Juris as well, a shocking 63 in the midst of all my firsts, luckily it didn't drag my overall classification down!

I hadn't mentioned it here as although it was compulsory at my uni (and i believe several others) it isn't a compulsory module in the sense that you need it for it to be a qualifying degree.

My brain just doesn't work in the way a brain needs to work to succeed at philosophy; my best marks were always in black letter law subjects. I found it impossible to come up with my own ideas for Juris, whereas I never struggled with that in any other subject. And some of it was just so random! (Critical Legal Studies? I still have no idea what the hell that was all about.)
Last edited by RK; 9 months ago
TommehR
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by emmings)
Critical Legal Studies? I still have no idea what the hell that was all about.)
Haha, we had two 2-hour seminars/tutorials on CLS. I tried to do the reading but didn't understand it in the slightest and would never ever revise it for an exam. I told the tutor and then spent the seminars browsing the internet. I'm so diligent and hard-working. :p:
Missy.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Did EU in first year, was pretty dire.
clarenic
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Equity and trusts without a doubt!
witex122
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am a first year and I would have to say Contract is fairly easy and if there was one thing that I would have to say that was a bit challenging in contract was the promissory estoppel.

However the hardest module for me is Tort. It is a really fun module but as a first year and as someone that hasn't done Law before it can be a bit of a pain, case loaded module. Pure Economic Loss and Misstatements are freaking me out.....
ezza11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I want to know what the first year is like and if you do exams only in the first year and then in second and third do you do assignments? Also do the teachers help you if you don't understand the work? Lastly do you have to remember a lot of things?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (29)
4.39%
Uncertainty around my education (105)
15.89%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (78)
11.8%
Lack of purpose or motivation (99)
14.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (28)
4.24%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (37)
5.6%
Loneliness (52)
7.87%
Financial worries (20)
3.03%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (35)
5.3%
Exposure to negative news/social media (33)
4.99%
Lack of real life entertainment (34)
5.14%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (54)
8.17%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
8.62%

Watched Threads