The Student Room Group

A level Economics Vs Btec Business.

As someone who does not want to go to university, what would the better option to choose from. Both seem interesting to me however economics from at least what i’ve searched for, only seems useful if you want to study at university. I want to make the right decision, although i think overall economics would be more interesting to me, would btec business be the better option for me; considering i don’t want to go to university, would the extra work needed for economics be worth it, especially for someone that struggles with essay writing.
(edited 1 year ago)
Economics is absolutely the best choice you can make, especially if you are planning on staying in the world of business,.

Economics will allow you to understand the theory that underpins business studies. To be honest, you’d be better reading some good books about successful companies than wasting your time memorising business studies content.

Don;t worry about essay writing in economics, the answers to questions aren’t;t too long and once you have a structure that works for each mark of question down you’ll be more than fine. The grade you come out with probably doesn’t matter as much as the content covered to you as well if your not planning a university application.

The final pro of a level economics is of course that should you ever need to apply for university/higher education later in life (life happens), economics a level will always be an advantage.

Can understand your thought process, but economics a level is definitely the right choice for you

Back yourself and go for it :wink:
(edited 1 year ago)
Look at the course materials, talk to relevant teachers and find out about the structure of the course - especially how each is assessed.
Btecs involve more coursework assessment and A levels rely on exams at the end of the two years - which will suit you best? Also Btecs sometimes involve a work placement and this can be useful for your CV etc. This is very much a personal choice and if Uni isnt your aim then it may be that an A level isnt the best choice.

Useful website - Not Going to Uni - https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/
Reply 3
Original post by happydayys
Economics is absolutely the best choice you can make, especially if you are planning on staying in the world of business,.

Economics will allow you to understand the theory that underpins business studies. To be honest, you’d be better reading some good books about successful companies than wasting your time memorising business studies content.

Don;t worry about essay writing in economics, the answers to questions aren’t;t too long and once you have a structure that works for each mark of question down you’ll be more than fine. The grade you come out with probably doesn’t matter as much as the content covered to you as well if your not planning a university application.

The final pro of a level economics is of course that should you ever need to apply for university/higher education later in life (life happens), economics a level will always be an advantage.

Can understand your thought process, but economics a level is definitely the right choice for you

Back yourself and go for it :wink:

Would you say it’s worth doing doing both economics and btec business. my current course choices are esports ict and business; i want to do stuff i would like but not just easy courses. I know esports is kind of a lack lustre course but i’m interested in it and also the course content, as well it will give me the chance to make new friends, i’m not the most sociable of people. So i would say ict is the one i would probably change but is it worth doing both economics and business?
I could always pick economics, geography and esports as my courses but i’m not sure where that would lead me to.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Look at the course materials, talk to relevant teachers and find out about the structure of the course - especially how each is assessed.
Btecs involve more coursework assessment and A levels rely on exams at the end of the two years - which will suit you best? Also Btecs sometimes involve a work placement and this can be useful for your CV etc. This is very much a personal choice and if Uni isnt your aim then it may be that an A level isnt the best choice.

Useful website - Not Going to Uni - https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/

Yeah i need to thing about it, me dropping out of college once already i don’t have a careers adviser to talk to, unless you know of some online ones i could talk to.

Would you say it’s worth doing both economics and btec business or is that more or less a waste?
I could pick economics and geography, but as i’m terrible at writing i don’t think that’s a good idea, it’s more or less just pain to me. However is that challenge something i need, as it’s not like i’m not willing to revise: aslong as i like the course counter and i think it will help me i could do it. I’ve currently picked esports, ict and business, plainly because i like them and they will be easy for me.
Original post by wnbrn_

Would you say it’s worth doing both economics and btec business or is that more or less a waste?

There is overlap in the syllabus and you may just get bored doing two similar subjects.

General advice on Choosing 6th Form Subjects - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/choosing-your-subjects
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest