The Student Room Group

Cycling in Oxford

Hi guys- I’m going to be joining Oxford this autumn as a graduate student. I’m considering bringing a bike with me to cut journey times as my accommodation is located a little way out of the city centre. I’m a bit worried though about how safe it is to cycle there as I have heard stories of some nasty accidents happening. Would any current residents there be able to let me know whether it’s generally okay cycling wise?

Thank you!
@Oxford Mum

perhaps this may be something you could give comment on? :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
If it's anything like Cambridge I imagine everyone and their mothers cycle everywhere...cycle theft is probably rampant though.
Original post by moomin21
Hi guys- I’m going to be joining Oxford this autumn as a graduate student. I’m considering bringing a bike with me to cut journey times as my accommodation is located a little way out of the city centre. I’m a bit worried though about how safe it is to cycle there as I have heard stories of some nasty accidents happening. Would any current residents there be able to let me know whether it’s generally okay cycling wise?

Thank you!

If you have one of those classic top-range bikes, please don't take it to university. Bike thefts can be a problem and you might lose it relatively quickly.
Original post by artful_lounger
If it's anything like Cambridge I imagine everyone and their mothers cycle everywhere...cycle theft is probably rampant though.

This, basically :yep: I think I was one of the very few undergrads who never touched a cycle during their degree :biggrin:

Thank you!

A huge proportion of Oxford students and residents cycle. There have indeed been some nasty accidents, but you get more accidents because there are so many cyclists, not because it's less safe. There are loads of cycle tracks, special settings on traffic lights, and so on.

Like someone else said, don't bring an expensive bike, and even for a cheap one make sure you have a decent lock (a solid D lock not a cheap cable).
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
This, basically :yep: I think I was one of the very few undergrads who never touched a cycle during their degree :biggrin:

PRSOM!

Spoiler

Thank you!

Son uses bike to get up to the John Radcliffe hospital ( he is training there). I have heard of a nasty bike accident ( also seen one). But these are isolated incidents compared to how many people cycle without problems.

just take care on the roads, wear a helmet and keep to the cycle lanes as much as possible.

oh, and enjoy Oxford!

Thank you!

Many students cycle - buy a good strong lock and wear a helmet. Please do stop at red traffic lights though .. I've seen cyclists taking out pedestrians. My niece cycled during her DPhil ...

If your accommodation is on a bus route they are frequent and reliable - lots of bus lanes.

Quick Reply