The Student Room Group

Warwick or Lancaster

I have applied to study physics and I have got offers from Warwick uni and Lancaster uni and I’m waiting UCL( don’t want to go there because London is too expensive) . The offers are A*AA and ABC(low because of access program I was on) respectively. If I went to Lancaster, I would be able to commute from home but it takes 1 hour and 40 minutes to get there. If I went to Warwick I would have to move out. Warwick is better than Lancaster I have been told . I like both of the campuses so idk where I should firm. If you were in my position which would you choose? Also, if Lancaster is so far away, is it worth commuting or should I just move there?
Warwick. But Lancaster is good too. It depends on your situation and what works best.
Which course do you prefer?
Sigh, don't listen to people about rankings. It doesn't really matter in the long run.
Reply 4
Original post by The-evil-potato
I have applied to study physics and I have got offers from Warwick uni and Lancaster uni and I’m waiting UCL( don’t want to go there because London is too expensive) . The offers are A*AA and ABC(low because of access program I was on) respectively. If I went to Lancaster, I would be able to commute from home but it takes 1 hour and 40 minutes to get there. If I went to Warwick I would have to move out. Warwick is better than Lancaster I have been told . I like both of the campuses so idk where I should firm. If you were in my position which would you choose? Also, if Lancaster is so far away, is it worth commuting or should I just move there?

A 1 hour 40 min commute is very large, are you sure you want to make that journey every day? Being physics degrees they'll both be similar, but it's good to check what optional modules you can take. I know warwick has a lot of astro modules that you can pick. Have you been able to visit either yet? Warwick's campus is very nice but isolated, i've never been to lancaster so i can't comment.

I'm most likely firming warwick for maths and physics so we might see each other next year:smile:
Original post by The-evil-potato

Hi my daughter is at Lancaster studying Particle physics and cosmology and is in second year. Lancaster is amazing for physics. Not only that but they have good opportunities for internships too. First year internships are rare, but they gave her a unpaid placement to do remotely (short time one) so she got work experience and also looks good on the academic CV. Now she has that under her belt to apply for this years too at various places in the uk.
I would suggest not commuting. simply because physics is pretty much a full time thing when you include independant study as well. And 1hr 40 to get there and also back again, you will be tired after a while. Halls are cheaper at Lancaster than some unis, plus rent in second year, shes got a place at £105 per week.

See attached handbook https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/staff/mcdonalj/JM/handbook16-17.pdf . This gives an insight into the modules.

First year is pure physics for everyone so theres all of your year in the lecture theatre. Second year it gets smaller as people branch off for different things, so she still does maths with everyone, but particle physics theres about 30 of them. I would highly recommend lancaster. The support is great and Shirley who runs the department is very good.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by McGinger
Which course do you prefer?

The courses are pretty similar and they share the majority of optional modules
Original post by Skiwi
A 1 hour 40 min commute is very large, are you sure you want to make that journey every day? Being physics degrees they'll both be similar, but it's good to check what optional modules you can take. I know warwick has a lot of astro modules that you can pick. Have you been able to visit either yet? Warwick's campus is very nice but isolated, i've never been to lancaster so i can't comment.

I'm most likely firming warwick for maths and physics so we might see each other next year:smile:

I’ve visited both campuses and thought Warwick was better.
If I do end up choosing Warwick, I hope to see you there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending