The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Strathclyde Accommodation

Which halls are the best and which ones to avoid?
Honestly all halls are good, location wise they are all in the same location right next to campus, so teh choice is between the type of accommodation than which accommodation.

The best value for money are the sink ones, wit Garnett being the best. However sharing toilets and shower's isn't everyone's cup of tea, although everyone I have talk to has managed just fine, myself included...but you do get a sink!

The ensuite ones are probably on the pricier end in the sense you can get ensuite accommodation for cheaper in private accommodation, you don't get the luxury of rolling straight of of bed into the university,...but these private accommodation places are only a few minutes walk. The esuite rooms and flats are pretty spacious in fairness, just my own biases towards the price I guess.

Then you have birkbeck, which isn't worth the few hundred pound you save from having one of the sink ones...but it's not bad, just small...a birkbeck kitchen and living area is about 50% of the one in a Garnett flat, also you are sharing with more people.

Social life wise they are all the same, and you can go for a 20 second walk to the next closest one.

So basically my advise is just see what your needs are, if you have the money to spend spend it but don't feel disheartened if you have to go with birkbeck as it certainly will be a memorable experience for more ways than you could possibly comprehend.
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Original post by StudentSCTLND
Which halls are the best and which ones to avoid?

Hey @StudentSCTLND :biggrin:

As @Max1989 has already mentioned, all halls are good options for our students at Strathclyde! Our Student Village is on campus and super close to all of the facilities and teaching spaces. When you have a chance, I recommend using the virtual tour part of our website here: https://app.iviewvr.com/go.php?id=73 when you get a chance - you can see "in" to each of the halls here and that should give you a really good feel for the space.

When you complete your halls application there is space for you to note what sort of flatmate you are, and this will give the accommodation team a chance to put you in to rooms with likeminded people you'll get along with. You can disclose things like your interests and preferences (for example if you'd prefer a quieter residence) and we've found in the past that that works quite well and students make really good friends and settle in nicely with people similar to them :smile: So that's definitely a top tip I'd say to be aware of and to be honest when filling out!

You can apply for accommodation now even if you're holding a conditional offer :five:

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending