The Student Room Group

Gcse general converstion languages help

hello hello hello
I have my German speaking in a week and I'm really nervous . I'm OK at german (I got 2 marks above the boundary of an 8 in my mock)* but my speaking is genuinely horrendous. I had a practice speaking last week and I literally wasn't able to string a sentence together for most of* the questions my teacher asked me.* in my mock I also did quite badly as I wasn't able to expand and I make very basic mistakes. my teacher said it wasn't good enough and she was right if I'm being honest.* when I'm around my friends doing some practice I am alright at german - not amazing or complex but i am able to string a sentence or 2 together but when I'm with my teacher I don't feel stressed but my mind just goes blank and I end up saying the most basic things, without using complex language or expanding or even saying basic things right. does anyone have any advice on how I should approach languages to make it easier ? a really good speaking technique ? a good way to learn how to come up with answers spontaneously? any kind of language stuff would be rllt appreciated !*
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TallDuck32
hello hello hello
I have my German speaking in a week and I'm really nervous . I'm OK at german (I got 2 marks above the boundary from an 8 in my mock)* but my speaking is genuinely horrendous. I had a practice speaking last week and I literally wasn't able to string a sentence together for most of* the questions my teacher asked me.* in my mock I also did quite badly as I wasn't able to expand and I make very basic mistakes. my teacher said it wasn't good enough and she was right if I'm being honest.* when I'm around my friends doing some practice I am alright at german - not amazing or complex but i am able to string a sentence or 2 together but when I'm with my teacher I don't feel stressed but my mind just goes blank and I end up saying the most basic things, without using complex language or expanding or even saying basic things right. does anyone have any advice on how I should approach languages to make it easier ? a really good speaking technique ? a good way to learn how to come up with answers spontaneously? any kind of language stuff would be rllt appreciated !*

Ask your teacher if you can do extra practice at lunch for a few days, that’s what I’ve done. Got my Spanish speaking tomorrow and I’ve done **** all revision but oh well. Practice with ur teacher more and look at ur exam board’s past papers so u get an idea of what the questions could be
Original post by TallDuck32
hello hello hello
I have my German speaking in a week and I'm really nervous . I'm OK at german (I got 2 marks above the boundary from an 8 in my mock)* but my speaking is genuinely horrendous. I had a practice speaking last week and I literally wasn't able to string a sentence together for most of* the questions my teacher asked me.* in my mock I also did quite badly as I wasn't able to expand and I make very basic mistakes. my teacher said it wasn't good enough and she was right if I'm being honest.* when I'm around my friends doing some practice I am alright at german - not amazing or complex but i am able to string a sentence or 2 together but when I'm with my teacher I don't feel stressed but my mind just goes blank and I end up saying the most basic things, without using complex language or expanding or even saying basic things right. does anyone have any advice on how I should approach languages to make it easier ? a really good speaking technique ? a good way to learn how to come up with answers spontaneously? any kind of language stuff would be rllt appreciated !*

i think preparing your answers for certain themes could help, in gcse spanish we have different themes and our teacher gave us a bunch of predicted questions that could be asked for each them and as revision/practise just simply form sentences that are memorable, which are not too complex and not too simple, and repeat them to yourself
you could ask your friends to ask you the same questions and then your teacher
for answering questions spontaneously, maybe listen to key words in the question that stand out to you and try to formulate an appropiate response? also don't dwell on the fact that your mind is going to go completely blank
hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest