The Student Room Group

st andrews bristol or glasgow for english?

I have offers from St Andrews, Bristol and Glasgow to study english. I visited all of them and really like them all but especially Bristol, the whole atmosphere of the city seemed great, in contrast although i liked the university part of Glasgow, the rest of the city did not interest me at all, perhaps this is because i live so close to it that it seems less exciting. St Andrews i loved but i think i may be bored after four years of it. I am from Scotland so i get free tuition if i stay in Scotland, is it worth going to Bristol and taking the extra debt or stay in Scotland and go to St Andrews/Glasgow? Any insight on student life at the three universities would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by achintobe
I have offers from St Andrews, Bristol and Glasgow to study english. I visited all of them and really like them all but especially Bristol, the whole atmosphere of the city seemed great, in contrast although i liked the university part of Glasgow, the rest of the city did not interest me at all, perhaps this is because i live so close to it that it seems less exciting. St Andrews i loved but i think i may be bored after four years of it. I am from Scotland so i get free tuition if i stay in Scotland, is it worth going to Bristol and taking the extra debt or stay in Scotland and go to St Andrews/Glasgow? Any insight on student life at the three universities would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks

Congrats on your offers!!
My first thought is not St Andrews, because I know people that have gone and they don't really enjoy it since there isn't much to do. However, if you make a bunch of student friends then I'm sure you'd find something yk?

I'm also from Scotland so I can see your point about Glasgow, that's where I'm going in September and I had the same issues since I know the city perfectly already. However, I feel like once you move into halls and start experiencing the city as a uni student it'll be just as exciting as any other new place! Also, Glasgow is a fun city in general, loads to do and the West End is beautiful. Also, the free education is amazing and not being in loads of debt after uni is a huge bonus that most students don't have.

It sounds like you like Bristol the most though! If you feel like it's the one for you, then maybe the debt is worth it?
Which course do you prefer?
Its the course you study every day - not the Uni.

Look at the structure of each course carefully.
Which units are compulsory, what is optional - and in each year of the course.
Whay units would you actually choose of you went to each Uni.
What are the assessment methods.
What extras are available - opportunities for study abroad, units in other subects, etc etc.
Write all of this down and compare the courses.

Look at the YouTube campus tour films for each Uni, and the tourist films for each city.
Where will you feel the most comfortable for the three years of a degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending