The Student Room Group

Got rejected from UCL and Imperial

I applied for a Master's degree in Management on March 20. The closure date was March 30. My records were generally enough to get to UCL, except for my undergrad GPA, which is 3.0/4.0, while the requirement is 3.3 for MSc Management. But to compensate for my GPA, I passed IELTS and GMAT exams with good scores, 8.0 and 740, respectively. I mentioned some extracurricular activities and moderate work experience. On top of that, I also listed some of my commercial medium-scale websites.
I anticipated an offer at least from UCL or Imperial. However, both rejected me, and now I feel completely destroyed. I do not exactly know if it was because of late application submission, my GPA, or other reasons. Can someone please explain what could be the reason for their rejection? I am asking because I decided to reapply the following year with some improvements.

Scroll to see replies

Hi Jake

Could you contact UCL and Imperial for feedback? It might just be that they are oversubscribed, and that other applicants had applications that more closely matched their requirements.

Good luck - hope you get sorted out for this year or next :-)

G
Original post by Jake Baker
I applied for a Master's degree in Management on March 20. The closure date was March 30. My records were generally enough to get to UCL, except for my undergrad GPA, which is 3.0/4.0, while the requirement is 3.3 for MSc Management. But to compensate for my GPA, I passed IELTS and GMAT exams with good scores, 8.0 and 740, respectively. I mentioned some extracurricular activities and moderate work experience. On top of that, I also listed some of my commercial medium-scale websites.
I anticipated an offer at least from UCL or Imperial. However, both rejected me, and now I feel completely destroyed. I do not exactly know if it was because of late application submission, my GPA, or other reasons. Can someone please explain what could be the reason for their rejection? I am asking because I decided to reapply the following year with some improvements.

They are both very academically competitive universities and having high IELTS and GMAT doesn't compensate for 3.0/4.0. While they say the requirement is 3.3, chances are offer holders are averaging much higher than that, and something like 3.6 or more is what makes a competitive application. However, ask them, they might be specific.

did you get an interview invitation?
Original post by threeportdrift
They are both very academically competitive universities and having high IELTS and GMAT doesn't compensate for 3.0/4.0. While they say the requirement is 3.3, chances are offer holders are averaging much higher than that, and something like 3.6 or more is what makes a competitive application. However, ask them, they might be specific.

Second this, for Imperial and UCL that undergrad GPA requirement will typically be an automatic cutoff point. Something like IELTS carries no compensating academic weight, it’s an entirely separate “can you handle learning and assessment in English” requirement.

MSc Management is a very competitive course. Every year almost 2000 people apply and only around 200 people gets an offer. If you're too keen about Imperial I would suggest you to gain some work experience and apply for their MBA. It's less competitive with an acceptance rate of more than 50%. With a 3/4 gpa and a GMAT like 700's your chances of being accepted is very high.
Reply 6
Original post by kanishmc99
did you get an interview invitation?

Hello, no I did not.
Reply 7
Original post by gaynor_scraggins
Hi Jake

Could you contact UCL and Imperial for feedback? It might just be that they are oversubscribed, and that other applicants had applications that more closely matched their requirements.

Good luck - hope you get sorted out for this year or next :-)

G

I have written email to both universities. UCL did not answer yet, while Imperial said that the course is very competitive and that even a lot of excellent applications have received rejections. But I suppose that is a boilerplate email that they send to everyone who requests an appeal.

And thank you for the wishes! I just want to clarify what my weak point is and for the next year to work on it! Do you think I should call them instead?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Original post by threeportdrift

I will try to call them. Thanks.
Reply 9
MSc Management is a very competitive course. Every year almost 2000 people apply and only around 200 people gets an offer. If you're too keen about Imperial I would suggest you to gain some work experience and apply for their MBA. It's less competitive with an acceptance rate of more than 50%. With a 3/4 gpa and a GMAT like 700's your chances of being accepted is very high.

Thank you for offering an alternative. But do you think that a year of work experience would be enough for this programme? Because I need to reapply the next year.
Thank you for offering an alternative. But do you think that a year of work experience would be enough for this programme? Because I need to reapply the next year.

An ideal MBA candidate must typically have 3 or more years of work experience. At this point I see you have two options.

1) Reapply for the MSc Management next year. Try to explain how you have improved yourself over this period of time in the personal statement (Because they will compare your current application against the previous one).

2) Sit tight for another 3 years and apply for their MBA program.

Personally I would suggest you to go with the second one for two reasons. You will have already established a clear career path and the MBA will be a boost to reach next level in your career (Top executive). Secondarily, your chances of being accepted is likely high cuz work experience hold a higher value than undergraduate mark for MBA. The entry requirement itself a minimum 2:2.

Take a look at the admission statistics of 2020/2021 admissions cycle

MSc Management - 299 students were offered a place out of 1914 applicants

MBA - 166 offer were made out of 299 applicants.
(edited 1 year ago)
An ideal MBA candidate must typically have 3 or more years of work experience. At this point I see you have two options.

1) Reapply for the MSc Management next year. Try to explain how you have improved yourself over this period of time in the personal statement (Because they will compare your current application against the previous one).

2) Sit tight for another 3 years and apply for their MBA program.

Personally I would suggest you to go with the second one for two reasons. You will have already established a clear career path and the MBA will be a boost to reach next level in your career (Top executive). Secondarily, your chances of being accepted is likely high cuz work experience hold a higher value than undergraduate mark for MBA. The entry requirement itself a minimum 2:2.

Take a look at the admission statistics of 2020/2021 admissions cycle

MSc Management - 299 students were offered a place out of 1914 applicants

MBA - 166 offer were made out of 299 applicants.

Huge thanks for your answer. I appreciate your suggestion.
I have made a decision to reapply the next year. Meanwhile, I have found a job, and will be gaining a work experience. I just hope they will accept me for the next year. But if nothing works out, I will perhaps take your second suggestion. Once again, thank you for dedicating your time.

Hi!

We both have a similar case (low CGPA), except I didn't take the GMAT to make up for it and applied anyways.
Did you reapply again this year?

please keep us updated and best of luck!
Missed this thread at the time, but agree that the GPA was likely the sticking point.

I work in postgrad admissions and it would just be an auto reject for us. GMAT/GRE/work exp wouldn't compensate and I would not encourage a re-application unless you had been in touch with them and understood very specifically where you had fallen short.
Original post by Admit-One
Missed this thread at the time, but agree that the GPA was likely the sticking point.

I work in postgrad admissions and it would just be an auto reject for us. GMAT/GRE/work exp wouldn't compensate and I would not encourage a re-application unless you had been in touch with them and understood very specifically where you had fallen short.

Whoop! well there goes my £160
Still pray for a miracle. Hopefully my work experience and PS can somewhat out shine my shortcomings haha
Original post by SushiStory
Whoop! well there goes my £160
Still pray for a miracle. Hopefully my work experience and PS can somewhat out shine my shortcomings haha

Ooof. Obviously I can’t speak for every uni, so some departments may look at work exp more favourably than us. But I would always advise to speak to the uni first before applying. Best of luck.
Hi!

We both have a similar case (low CGPA), except I didn't take the GMAT to make up for it and applied anyways.
Did you reapply again this year?

please keep us updated and best of luck!

Hi,

I will reapply soon (to same universities and some more). Preparing my recommendation letters and personal statement now. I will update you if any change happens.

Glad to find someone with similar situation. Which universities are you applying to?
Hi,

I will reapply soon (to same universities and some more). Preparing my recommendation letters and personal statement now. I will update you if any change happens.

Glad to find someone with similar situation. Which universities are you applying to?

I applied to UCL , Imperial and Manchester.
Got rejected from Manchester though due to GPA (entry requirement).

What about you?
Original post by Admit-One

Hello,

Yeah, I was wondering around for half a year thinking about what could be the reason for a rejection. I really needed someone from admissions to tell me this before. I wrote countless letters to admissions. Yet they only said that my GPA COULD BE a reason, driving my confusion further. But finally found out at UCL website that at stage 1 they automatically reject applicants who do not meet GPA requirement even by 0.01 points.

But the fun thing is that I managed to increase my CGPA to the bare minimum requirement by obtaining highest GPA for the last semester. So I now have a chance to reapply!
I applied to UCL , Imperial and Manchester.
Got rejected from Manchester though due to GPA (entry requirement).

What about you?

So you also applied to MSc Management course?

I applied to only UCL and Imperial last year. I was in the fourth year of my bachelor's degree. Now I am graduated, so like in two-three weeks I will start applying. But this time, I will apply to 6 more top UK universities to increase my chances.

I see you also applied to top universities. Sorry to hear about Manchester, though. So you did not hear back from UCL and Imperial yet? And how much work experience do you have?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending