The Student Room Group

A* in IGCSE Ask me anything

I studied CAIE IGCSE Math, Physics, Chemistry, Chinese First Language, Economics, Business Studies, and History, all A*, and an Edexcel English Language A band 7(A). I thought many of you might like to ask some questions about the IGCSE subjects.
Those are amazing results! do you have any tips to get all A*s?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
What do you recommend for studying physics especially electricity and magnetism chapter?
How much content do you usually write for your history 10 mark questions?
Original post by Derrick Abby
I studied CAIE IGCSE Math, Physics, Chemistry, Chinese First Language, Economics, Business Studies, and History, all A*, and an Edexcel English Language A band 7(A). I thought many of you might like to ask some questions about the IGCSE subjects.

Did you sit real paper exams in 2019 or before?
Original post by randompanda_

Make a solid revision timetable. Which subjects specifically would you like advice for? (I also did IGCSEs)
Original post by Muttley79
Did you sit real paper exams in 2019 or before?

For Math, no, it's TAG in 2020. For other CAIE subjects, yes, it's taken in 2021.
For Edexcel English, well, technically it's TAG, but our school held only one exam during the normal exam series using the Edexcel unseen paper and sent all papers to Edexcel for them to mark, so it's the same style as the actual exam.

For science subjects, doing past papers for approx. 5 yrs will be enough for IGCSE, but for humanities (History/Business/Economics), I do recommend writing two to three essays in each subject and sending them to your teacher to mark them, thus you can understand how the examiners will use the mark scheme to mark your essays. Then glance through the past paper questions & mark schemes for as many years as possible (no need to carefully write every essay).
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by booklover1313
Make a solid revision timetable. Which subjects specifically would you like advice for? (I also did IGCSEs)

sorry for replying so late, do you have any advice for Maths, English lang and lit and also the sciences? thankss
For science subjects, doing past papers for approx. 5 yrs will be enough for IGCSE, but for humanities (History/Business/Economics), I do recommend writing two to three essays in each subject and sending them to your teacher to mark them, thus you can understand how the examiners will use the mark scheme to mark your essays. Then glance through the past paper questions & mark schemes for as many years as possible (no need to carefully write every essay).

okay thank you, 5yrs?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by BP67
What do you recommend for studying physics especially electricity and magnetism chapter?
How much content do you usually write for your history 10 mark questions?

I am personally not interested in Physics so I'm afraid there's not much advice I can give. Magnetism is an area that I also found difficult. I just go through some youtube revision classes/private tutor classes but I soon found out that I couldn't understand what they were saying lol. So I just do the pastpaper questions and recite the way the mark scheme does it.

BTW if you're also not good at Physics just relax. IGCSE Physics thresholds are set at a really low score, so there are lots of spare points for you to lose.

For History, according to the mark scheme, as long as you have clear and sufficient explanation you can score on the highest level, but I do recommend writing as much as possible in each question (even in 4 marks one!), but carefully distribute your time to each question, when the time is up you should write a conclusion regardless you believe the explanation is sufficient or not
(edited 1 year ago)

For general advice, do past papers,

and I also agree that a solid timetabled revision plan is important.

For example, make MCQ paper the lowest on your revision list because those exams usually takes place in June,
you will have loads of time do lots of MCQ before those exams.

I struggle with English Language and literature, English is not my first language, but I do GCSE not IGCSE, but I think they are similar. Do you have any tips for that?
For Math, no, it's TAG in 2020. For other CAIE subjects, yes, it's taken in 2021.
For Edexcel English, well, technically it's TAG, but our school held only one exam during the normal exam series using the Edexcel unseen paper and sent all papers to Edexcel for them to mark, so it's the same style as the actual exam.

So giving advice to those who are sitting papers isn't possibly going to be the most helpful ...
For science subjects, doing past papers for approx. 5 yrs will be enough for IGCSE

Doing past papers for FIVE YEARS???
sorry for replying so late, do you have any advice for Maths, English lang and lit and also the sciences? thankss

Maths is just about practice, do all the past papers you can get your hands on. When you come across difficult examples, write up a fully explained solution and put it in your notes for that topic.
English language, familiarise yourself with each extract and have the basic bullet points for an essay plan prepped.
Sciences, the textbooks are your best friend. Also use Quizlet for definitions and processes.

Quick Reply

Latest