The Student Room Group

Your body when you die - will you leave it to science?

There was a time without question that i wouldn't even consider leaving my body to science. Everytime the thought entered my head my mind had a set response - NO WAY!
But in renewing my CBT i was offered the option again on my licence application, and this time i eventually ticked the box and allowed it.
Later i felt a little bit proud, a little bit squeemish, a little bit skeptical and i asked myself questions about my consciousness and whether maybe i would have some kind of awareness, as my incomplete "soul" drifted around in space experiencing what one of my eyeballs was looking at from somebody elses head.
I had lots of thoughts about it all. I think it's a great thing to do. What about you? Maybe 10 years after you die you'll be scoring the winning goal for Germany against England in the World Cup!

Scroll to see replies

Are you talking about ticking the option to be an organ donor?
Sure whatever, it's not like I'll be using it by then.
Original post by Wing It
There was a time without question that i wouldn't even consider leaving my body to science. Everytime the thought entered my head my mind had a set response - NO WAY!
But in renewing my CBT i was offered the option again on my licence application, and this time i eventually ticked the box and allowed it.
Later i felt a little bit proud, a little bit squeemish, a little bit skeptical and i asked myself questions about my consciousness and whether maybe i would have some kind of awareness, as my incomplete "soul" drifted around in space experiencing what one of my eyeballs was looking at from somebody elses head.
I had lots of thoughts about it all. I think it's a great thing to do. What about you? Maybe 10 years after you die you'll be scoring the winning goal for Germany against England in the World Cup!

No. I hope to be buried in a mausoleum or the Mount of Olives.
You've actually consented to donate your organs if needed for transplant; not donating your body to science.
nope
Fwiw if anyone is interested in donating their body to science/medical education then there’s details here: https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/about-the-rcs/support-our-work/donate/donate-your-body-to-medical-science/

If your body is suitable for organ donation then it won’t be possible to also use it for donation for education (but then organ donation is quite a specific set of circumstances). So you can sign up for both but the circumstances of your death will likely dictate which is possible.

The forms to sign up for donation for medical education are pretty straightforward. Or at least that’s what I found back when I signed up ~5 years ago. Less faff than power of attorney or a will.
Nope.
Not organ donation either.
I think my organs will be so damaged by how I treat my body that they won't be suitable for transplants.
Nope
Where I live you have to pay if you donate your body so probably not!!
No.
No
I want to be buried in a church.
Reply 13
Yes. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by vapordave
You've actually consented to donate your organs if needed for transplant; not donating your body to science.

That's interesting, thank you.
Reply 15
Original post by PQ
Fwiw if anyone is interested in donating their body to science/medical education then there’s details here: https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/about-the-rcs/support-our-work/donate/donate-your-body-to-medical-science/

If your body is suitable for organ donation then it won’t be possible to also use it for donation for education (but then organ donation is quite a specific set of circumstances). So you can sign up for both but the circumstances of your death will likely dictate which is possible.

The forms to sign up for donation for medical education are pretty straightforward. Or at least that’s what I found back when I signed up ~5 years ago. Less faff than power of attorney or a will.

Thanks again, i'm going to sign up.
Original post by Wing It
Thanks again, i'm going to sign up.

Which are you wanting to do? Donate organs or leave your body to science for experimentation etc? Your OP sounds more like you’re talking about donation.
I think I’d like to donate my kidneys and liver. I’m still thinking about my heart and lungs. Probably that’s it. I have kp so my skin looks terrible so I can’t donate that. But I wouldn’t want to give my body to science.
Reply 18
Original post by Honey57
I think I’d like to donate my kidneys and liver. I’m still thinking about my heart and lungs. Probably that’s it. I have kp so my skin looks terrible so I can’t donate that. But I wouldn’t want to give my body to science.

I'd love to know your reasons why you wouldn't leave your body to science. And why not donate all organs instead of just a few. How interesting.
Nah. Need to be buried so my family got a place to come and mourn.

Quick Reply

Latest