The Student Room Group

Studying Law

I am currently in year 10 want to study Law at university. which universities are best for studing Law in Uk? and which Alevels do I need to do? also which grades my GCSEs should ?
Hi,
You can search it up on google for the best universities that do law, make sure you check the league tables. For A-Levels, you don't really need any particular course, you can choose anything you like, for example im going to take Law in uni this year and i do English Language, Criminology and Math, btw you don't need to take Law for A-Levels it's not mandatory. For GCSE's though, it really depends on the university, but usually as long as you pass everything especially maths, science and english with a grade 4 or above but of course do your best to get high grades as Law is a very competitive course.
Reply 2
Original post by Maridesu
Hi,
You can search it up on google for the best universities that do law, make sure you check the league tables. For A-Levels, you don't really need any particular course, you can choose anything you like, for example im going to take Law in uni this year and i do English Language, Criminology and Math, btw you don't need to take Law for A-Levels it's not mandatory. For GCSE's though, it really depends on the university, but usually as long as you pass everything especially maths, science and english with a grade 4 or above but of course do your best to get high grades as Law is a very competitive course.

Thank you for all info.
Original post by shabishab
I am currently in year 10 want to study Law at university. which universities are best for studing Law in Uk? and which Alevels do I need to do? also which grades my GCSEs should ?

Hi there,

I hope you're well.

That's great to hear you want to study Law at University, I'm in my third year at the Universtiy of Liverpool and absolutely loving it!

It is definitely dependent on yourself regarding what you're looking for in a University, and where you think you'll fit best in at. There are many 'score boards' online regarding where the best places to study Law are - but it's so important to pick a University which you'll also enjoy, or else you'll end up hating your experience! Once you've shortlisted around 5 Universities you'd like, have a look on their direct websites for their entry requirements. This page will usually specify what A-level grades they're looking for, and whether they prefer you to take any specific courses.

Best of luck to you!
Ana - University of Liverpool ambasasador :biggrin:
Original post by shabishab

Hi @shabishab

It's great that you are thinking about this so early! I think the best thing to do is to look at different universities, go to open days, look online at the course and what modules they offer. The most important thing is that you are happy at university and a lot of factors depend on that, including the location, whether it is a city or campus university, the opportunities available to you, the accommodation and campus etc. So although league tables might be a good thing to consider, there are also so many more factors that I'd recommend you look into before you choose your university.

In terms of Alevels, there aren't usually stipulations as to which subjects you do. I did A level law but it is not a necessity and the course at Surrey is taught as if no one has studied law before. So my best advise would be to do the subjects you enjoy.
There might be some grade requirements in relation to GCSE's, for example Surrey ask for-
GCSE or equivalent: English Language at Grade C(4) and Mathematics at Grade C (4) (or equivalent)

However every university is different so I would recommend having a look at a few different websites of the universities you are interested in and seeing if there are any specific requirements.

I hope this helps,
Becky
A final year law student at the University of Surrey
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending