The Student Room Group

I don’t know weather to leave sixth form for the Army?

For the past few weeks I’ve seriously been considering joining the British army with the aim of becoming a PTI after a few years of serving. I’m currently doing sports and coaching in college which I do enjoy but I am very intrested in joining the army because of the lifestyle, discipline and opportunities it offers. Being a PTI would be a dream role for me however I don’t know if the qualifications I would get as a PTI would be similar to what I would get from my course now. Also I’m unsure about what opportunities I’d have after the army considering I’ve left college
Wait for a few weeks to become a few months. Also, you would find getting jobs difficult without A-Levels, considering the educational requirements for many jobs are slowly rising.
Original post by Ethan3030
For the past few weeks I’ve seriously been considering joining the British army with the aim of becoming a PTI after a few years of serving. I’m currently doing sports and coaching in college which I do enjoy but I am very intrested in joining the army because of the lifestyle, discipline and opportunities it offers. Being a PTI would be a dream role for me however I don’t know if the qualifications I would get as a PTI would be similar to what I would get from my course now. Also I’m unsure about what opportunities I’d have after the army considering I’ve left college

Have you looked on the Army website for the entry requirements and do you have them? Have you spoken to the Armed Forces Careers Service about how long the application process is likely to take? Those are key answers you need to hold before making the decision to leave College. Because if you don't hold the entry qualifications/experience or it takes a year to get through the entry process, it's not a good idea to leave College.
The army will be there when college finishes - college won’t necessarily be there if the army doesn’t work out.

Finish college then join the armed forces, it doesn’t have to be one or the other.
Reply 4
From an ex-military Recruiter: finish sixth form; you always need a back-up plan in case you don't make it into the Army. It's easier to get qualifications now than break off your studies and try to pick them up months later.

Otherwise, as above as regards doing your research. I don't know how long the recruiting process is currently taking, but you'll need to get professional advice on the timeline and the best point at which to apply. You'll also need a plan post-college. Selection doesn't actually take up a massive amount of time, so you need something to keep you occupied and possibly earning.

As a priority, check your medical records now, and see if there is anything that could stop you joining.
(edited 1 year ago)

Hello, I'm just finishing yr 13 now and I feel the same way as you do about the army, I can't wait to join. I was tempted to go afc harrogate after gcses and even now I'm tempted by just going however I want to go to uni first. Honestly, the last 2 years of sixth form have gone so fast and it is worth it to carry on and get your qualifications. Anything could happen when you get in like an injury or maybe something medical could stop you getting in but at least when you have your qualification there are many options left open. Also, you must be already nearly done now with your first year of college and I take it it's a two year course so you're almost half way through, you may as well carry on now! Also, as you said, the qualifications will only help after the army too, as someone else said, I think more and more people now are getting a levels and degrees and it's only going to carry on growing so anything will help more than gcses. I think it is worth the wait and it'll go so much quicker than you think, the army will always be there waiting!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by smithbound
Hello, I'm just finishing yr 13 now and I feel the same way as you do about the army, I can't wait to join. I was tempted to go afc harrogate after gcses and even now I'm tempted by just going however I want to go to uni first. Honestly, the last 2 years of sixth form have gone so fast and it is worth it to carry on and get your qualifications. Anything could happen when you get in like an injury or maybe something medical could stop you getting in but at least when you have your qualification there are many options left open. Also, you must be already nearly done now with your first year of college and I take it it's a two year course so you're almost half way through, you may as well carry on now! Also, as you said, the qualifications will only help after the army too, as someone else said, I think more and more people now are getting a levels and degrees and it's only going to carry on growing so anything will help more than gcses. I think it is worth the wait and it'll go so much quicker than you think, the army will always be there waiting!

Hi mate, thankyou for your advice I appreciate it massively. It’s a massive decision isn’t it and a really tricky one but it’s awesome that you’ve decided to do that I completely understand.

After a lot of thought, going over it time and time again I’ve made the decision I’m going to leave college for the army. It’s a really tough one but it’s just come down to the fact that it’s hand on heart what I want to do. My college corse will lead me to nothing really but a university corse which is something I don’t want to do. And at the end of the day the only thing that is going to get me the job I want (to be a PTI in the army) is by going in, no college corse will take me there. It’s a huge decision with some massive risks but they are risks I’m willing to take to be able to do a job and live a life that will make me happy. Wish you all the best mate ❤️
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Hi mate, thankyou for your advice I appreciate it massively. It’s a massive decision isn’t it and a really tricky one but it’s awesome that you’ve decided to do that I completely understand.

After a lot of thought, going over it time and time again I’ve made the decision I’m going to leave college for the army. It’s a really tough one but it’s just come down to the fact that it’s hand on heart what I want to do. My college corse will lead me to nothing really but a university corse which is something I don’t want to do. And at the end of the day the only thing that is going to get me the job I want (to be a PTI in the army) is by going in, no college corse will take me there. It’s a huge decision with some massive risks but they are risks I’m willing to take to be able to do a job and live a life that will make me happy. Wish you all the best mate ❤️

What transferable skills, sporting achievements and leadership potential do you have to support going for a PTI?

when are you going to join the army? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest