The Student Room Group

can i lose marks for borrowing an entire essay for gcse english. ?

lets say one found a amazing essay that is a grade 9 and is based on a theme that should come up this year, if one were to memorise it word for word and use it in the exam would they be screwed for it by the examiners if the examboard somehow finds out its like an answer a couple years back
? dont worry before u say revise all themes, i will but this doesnt hurt if its a 100% answer
what is the theme?
The word "borrowing" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
The word "borrowing" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

basically if an essay was memorised word for word and reused in the exam itself, is that allowed
Yes it’s allowed. It’s not Alevel do they won’t really care but I doubt you’ll remember it word for word.
Reply 5
Original post by Honey57
Yes it’s allowed. It’s not Alevel do they won’t really care but I doubt you’ll remember it word for word.

someone just told me that they use plagerism detectors and if its same u will be given 0%.
Original post by zynnjah123
someone just told me that they use plagerism detectors and if its same u will be given 0%.

No they don’t do that. It’s mainly used for alevels and uni work. GCSEs aren’t that important to check them for plagiarism, if so then everyone would technically write similar stuff so be accused of plagiarism.
Reply 7
Original post by Honey57
No they don’t do that. It’s mainly used for alevels and uni work. GCSEs aren’t that important to check them for plagiarism, if so then everyone would technically write similar stuff so be accused of plagiarism.

right, look i believe you but also im not tryna risk my grade man. i rather get an 8 than lose an entire grade for a 9
@Muttley79 - From memory English isn't your speciality, but do you have any general guidance for how plagiarism is monitored and penalised at GCSE level?
right, look i believe you but also im not tryna risk my grade man. i rather get an 8 than lose an entire grade for a 9

Where would you find this grade 9 essay? If its an exam board exemplar it would be recognised. A past topic won't be repeated ...

One of my friends used a description of the weather they found online and used it for the mocks. The mocks were given to GCSE AQA examiners to mark and he was flagged for plagiarism. They said that they will check his work properly for GCSEs and this is a warning. So there is no point of plagiarising because they will find out one way or another.
Original post by GCSE2020.
One of my friends used a description of the weather they found online and used it for the mocks. The mocks were given to GCSE AQA examiners to mark and he was flagged for plagiarism. They said that they will check his work properly for GCSEs and this is a warning. So there is no point of plagiarising because they will find out one way or another.

You’re friend is lying. They don’t do such checks at gcse level. Besides, I copied one of my paragraphs from one of my favourite novels and got a grade 8.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending