The Student Room Group

Higher SQA Exams 2021/2022

Thought I could make a thread about this years higher exams since they’re the first ever for all of us. Anyone started already? How did it go?

Scroll to see replies

S6, crash H Geography today, think I did ok. H PE tomorrow, then a week until AH Maths.

We sat the assessments in exam conditions last year anyway so really no different but, less much less stressful without the uncertainty, exams more spaced out, less assessments/exams than last year and we have study leave in between.
Reply 2
I’ve got Higher chemistry on friday ! A bit worried to be honest but hopefully it will go fine and yeah last year was sort of a joke cuz the so called “assessments” were no different from exams. Anyone doing higher chemistry too?
Reply 3
Original post by BlackLab
S6, crash H Geography today, think I did ok. H PE tomorrow, then a week until AH Maths.

We sat the assessments in exam conditions last year anyway so really no different but, less much less stressful without the uncertainty, exams more spaced out, less assessments/exams than last year and we have study leave in between.

I had geography Wednesday as well. Thought the 10 marks for formations was a joke but nonetheless.

You’re lucky you sat last years assessments in exam conditions, my first time ever in the hall was this Wednesday and let’s just say it was a bit of a shock hahaha. Still better than a classroom though. I agree with you the spacing is way better and study leave is nice. How was pe today?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Maz1222
I’ve got Higher chemistry on friday ! A bit worried to be honest but hopefully it will go fine and yeah last year was sort of a joke cuz the so called “assessments” were no different from exams. Anyone doing higher chemistry too?

I’ve got chem tomorrow too and am terrified lol. I just have a feeling it’s going to be an overly hard paper from the SQA. Wishing the best for you tomorrow tell me how you find it :smile:
Original post by Hm?
I had geography Wednesday as well. Thought the 10 marks for formations was a joke but nonetheless.

You’re lucky you sat last years assessments in exam conditions, my first time ever in the hall was this Wednesday and let’s just say it was a bit of a shock hahaha. Still better than a classroom though. I agree with you the spacing is way better and study leave is nice. How was pe today?

H PE was ok, even though we had a fire alarm just as we were about to start. Questions were very different from what we had before to practice, but think I did ok.

Good luck with Chemistry H tomorrow. I did it in S5 year, always had a blind spot with esters, fats and oils and could never remember anything about them but must have done ok on the day as got a A1. Still put me off taking chemistry for AH this year, took H PE in that column instead, so glad I did as has made S6 much easier that S5 :biggrin:
H PE was ok, even though we had a fire alarm just as we were about to start. Questions were very different from what we had before to practice, but think I did ok.

Good luck with Chemistry H tomorrow. I did it in S5 year, always had a blind spot with esters, fats and oils and could never remember anything about them but must have done ok on the day as got a A1. Still put me off taking chemistry for AH this year, took H PE in that column instead, so glad I did as has made S6 much easier that S5 :biggrin:

How did you find higher chem overall compared to other subjects? I'm doing nat 5s this year but I'm taking higher chem as a 6th higher self-taught. I've found it one of the easiest nat 5's but i know highers are a jump so just trying to get some insight into how stressed I'm going to be next year lol
Original post by rose.clm
How did you find higher chem overall compared to other subjects? I'm doing nat 5s this year but I'm taking higher chem as a 6th higher self-taught. I've found it one of the easiest nat 5's but i know highers are a jump so just trying to get some insight into how stressed I'm going to be next year lol

I found the jump from NAT5 to Higher big, but for Higher we had a bad setup for it. We had two chemistry teachers part time teaching us different modules at the same time. It was like learning two subjects at the same time but it took longer for each one and we had to study for the two unit tests at the same time. One of the teachers was good, the other told us she was not happy she was having to take part of our class and felt like she wasn't putting the effort in, so the class was always messing around when we had her. Add to that learning online for most of the course it really put me off chemistry which I previously preferred and found easier than physics. In S5 I found physics much easier, but think it was mostly due to the setup and teachers we had.

If you are committed to it, which you must be if you are thinking of self teaching, go for it.
I found the jump from NAT5 to Higher big, but for Higher we had a bad setup for it. We had two chemistry teachers part time teaching us different modules at the same time. It was like learning two subjects at the same time but it took longer for each one and we had to study for the two unit tests at the same time. One of the teachers was good, the other told us she was not happy she was having to take part of our class and felt like she wasn't putting the effort in, so the class was always messing around when we had her. Add to that learning online for most of the course it really put me off chemistry which I previously preferred and found easier than physics. In S5 I found physics much easier, but think it was mostly due to the setup and teachers we had.

If you are committed to it, which you must be if you are thinking of self teaching, go for it.

Thanks! That's helpful. That setup sounds rubbish though - I'd be so annoyed. It was between doing physics by myself or chem but it came down to the fact that I prefer the physics teachers at my school lol.
Reply 9
Thanks! That's helpful. That setup sounds rubbish though - I'd be so annoyed. It was between doing physics by myself or chem but it came down to the fact that I prefer the physics teachers at my school lol.

Ive done physics by myself at home as a crash and would 100% recommend you pick chem hahaha itd be way better in the long run trust me. I thought though chemistry was a big jump at first, if you stick your head into the books and get the basic concepts itll work out. Good luck with your Nat 5s!!
Reply 10

I feel like all the exams are gonna be on the harder side this year as the SQA are desperate for a big come back hahaha. I think I’ll be doing something similar to you next year I couldn’t deal with stressing myself out more especially in my last year.

Also was it true that the assessment paper for higher chemistry last year was as bad as I’ve heard? We never got the chance to see them.
Original post by Hm?
I feel like all the exams are gonna be on the harder side this year as the SQA are desperate for a big come back hahaha. I think I’ll be doing something similar to you next year I couldn’t deal with stressing myself out more especially in my last year.

Also was it true that the assessment paper for higher chemistry last year was as bad as I’ve heard? We never got the chance to see them.

If you are going to uni and are on track to get the grades in the subjects you need I absolutely recommend H PE in S6. Sell it to yourself as personal development/interest and wellbeing.

Honestly don't remember much about the chemistry paper now. Couldn't have been that bad as I got an A and my S3 chemistry teacher who was really good pulled me up for not taking AH with him.

Something else to bear in mind for next year is SQA have announced today the modifications this year will remain in place for 2022-2023. So you will have less to do with the reduced content /coursework.

https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/101229.html
How did everyone find Higher Chem? I thought the MCQ's were really different to the past papers and the Redox question I think through me off? Hope everyone found it ok! :smile:
Multiple choice i didn’t enjoy, but wasn’t too hard. the written section was good. I managed to answer everything, the % yield 3 marker though had me a bit stumped though, i ended up blabbering on how to carry out an ester experiment and drew a little diagram 😂 along with it
Reply 15
Original post by snowlessmountain
How did everyone find Higher Chem? I thought the MCQ's were really different to the past papers and the Redox question I think through me off? Hope everyone found it ok! :smile:

I thought the second paper maths questions were something else
Reply 16
Original post by milu457
Multiple choice i didn’t enjoy, but wasn’t too hard. the written section was good. I managed to answer everything, the % yield 3 marker though had me a bit stumped though, i ended up blabbering on how to carry out an ester experiment and drew a little diagram 😂 along with it

Hahahah me too saw the first using your knowledge and thought wow this won’t be that bad then got to the second one and had no idea what was going on. Had to start describing experiments I had completely made up. Hahahahaha. The one question about fizzy juice had me stumped where it was like 1% is 1g is 100cm^3. Had absolute no clue
Original post by Hm?
Hahahah me too saw the first using your knowledge and thought wow this won’t be that bad then got to the second one and had no idea what was going on. Had to start describing experiments I had completely made up. Hahahahaha. The one question about fizzy juice had me stumped where it was like 1% is 1g is 100cm^3. Had absolute no clue
haha me too, i don’t even know what i put down it was probably just nonsense. I didn’t know if you had to scale up the titration in any way, i don’t think it mentioned diluting anything?? So i left everything as is??
Original post by Hm?

When I first read that I was so confused but the worst question imo was the white potato and solanine? it didn't even make sense in English never mind chemistry terms. But... it's over lol!
Reply 19
Original post by snowlessmountain
When I first read that I was so confused but the worst question imo was the white potato and solanine? it didn't even make sense in English never mind chemistry terms. But... it's over lol!

I got such a small number for that I was like no way this amount of potato could kill me hahahaha

Quick Reply

Latest