hm0312
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I’m interested in becoming a production manager for films ( or a career like that on the more business side of filmmaking rather that lighting and cameras ect) I was wondering what unis people suggest and whether a film production or film studies BA course would be better suited to me. Thanks !!!
temivalentine45
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hm0312)
Hi I’m interested in becoming a production manager for films ( or a career like that on the more business side of filmmaking rather that lighting and cameras ect) I was wondering what unis people suggest and whether a film production or film studies BA course would be better suited to me. Thanks !!!
Hey, I would say film studies as BA is a better way to go, but getting into the film industry is very competitive, so whilst doing your degree make sure to rack loads of work experience through voluntary means such as signing up to film societies at your uni and take free courses online to do with business management. The unis I would say are the best for a BA in Film Studies are: Warwick, Loughborough, Kent, West London, Exeter. I hope I could help xx
ChichesterStuRep
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi hm0312!

It's great to hear you're interested in this area, it's an area I'm fascinated with too, although I chose a different path to study in the industry (Media Studies). Here at Chichester, the University has made a big investment in our department relating to this area, with a brand new building opening in 2018 on our Bognor campus that half of is dedicated to our film and media degrees. This means that although we're a small university, our facilities are industry standard and up-to-date, essentially we punch above our weight haha!

Here is a link to our courses in the department, one you might be most interested in is our Digital Film Production course (very practical but covers all aspects of what goes into film-making, and therefore relevant to a more production related interest as well, rather than entirely camera/equipment based) https://www.chi.ac.uk/courses/?_sft_...ive-industries

Here is also a link to a Bognor campus tour video on our YouTube channel which includes our Tech Park facility, this will give you a better insight into what it's like - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDo6j5efDgU&t=2s

There is also more information on our website too!

If there is anything else you'd like to know then feel free to ask, I'll be happy to help!

I hope this has been helpful for you

Tom,
University of Chichester Student Rep and Alumni
Last edited by ChichesterStuRep; 4 weeks ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
A film production course will give you more practical experience producing films. Aim for a CILECT member film school if possible. You will also get experience in other roles (camera, editing etc) but this is beneficial if you want to manage film production/sets. You need to understand how the team work together to manage it well. Ask courses about the budgets and fundraising for the course films.

film studies is a theoretical study of films (like English literature but studying film instead of written material). It will not provide you with any relevant experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (8)
44.44%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
22.22%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.11%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
16.67%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads