Physics and astrophysics Uni students ,

Watch this thread
dafghgwthqfasvfg
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
To anyone studying Physics with astrophysics at university , What is it like ? Do you enjoy it? I am a first year a level student and really love physics. I am passionate for the subject and astrophysics and the course in the title is what ill be applying for for university . Do you cover relativity ? ( a personal favourite of mine) . And is there much circuits ? as is not my strongest point, thanks.
What university would you recommend ?
Last edited by dafghgwthqfasvfg; 3 months ago
Christine Rep
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Hi dafghgwthqfasvfg
I am a first-year Physics student studying at the University of Leicester and have enjoyed it a lot so far, as, like you, I am extremely passionate about Physics! I am doing just the Physics course, however, there is an option to do the Physics with Astrophysics course here too! I have some friends who are currently doing this course and have enjoyed it thoroughly so far. Regarding relativity, for our specific University, there is a module in the second year which goes over: 'Relativity, Quantum Physics and Particles'. For some general advice though, I'd definitely recommend researching the modules for each year for the Universities you have applied to, as it will be really beneficial to see if that course is suited for your interests.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask any more questions, and I'll link the Physics with Astrophysics course details here if you would want to check it out:
https://le.ac.uk/courses/physics-wit...ysics-bsc/2022

Good luck with your applications
Christine
dafghgwthqfasvfg
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
thank you so much, I have had a read through the link youve sent and the modules seem really interesting !! Spookily I was looking at Leicester as a potential uni choice and was wondering how you like it generally ?
M4cc4n4
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dafghgwthqfasvfg)
To anyone studying Physics with astrophysics at university , What is it like ? Do you enjoy it? I am a first year a level student and really love physics. I am passionate for the subject and astrophysics and the course in the title is what ill be applying for for university . Do you cover relativity ? ( a personal favourite of mine) . And is there much circuits ? as is not my strongest point, thanks.
I am just coming to the end of my Physics degree; whilst several universities throughout the UK for physics have significantly different module structures; you will likely find that each will typically front a "general physics" module in the first year, where you will cover some QM, condensed matter, relativity, Astro, electrostatics, alongside your basic classical mechanics and statics. On the side of circuits you'll likely find some in your first and second year depending on your module choices, and would likely cover stuff like the kirchoff law's, impedance and some other phenomena.
dafghgwthqfasvfg
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by M4cc4n4)
I am just coming to the end of my Physics degree; whilst several universities throughout the UK for physics have significantly different module structures; you will likely find that each will typically front a "general physics" module in the first year, where you will cover some QM, condensed matter, relativity, Astro, electrostatics, alongside your basic classical mechanics and statics. On the side of circuits you'll likely find some in your first and second year depending on your module choices, and would likely cover stuff like the kirchoff law's, impedance and some other phenomena.
thank you so much for replying ! how did you find your course now that its coming to it end ? any highlights ? Anything you wished you had done to help ?
M4cc4n4
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
thank you so much for replying ! how did you find your course now that its coming to it end ? any highlights ? Anything you wished you had done to help ?
Some parts were more enjoyable than others, the best part is when you get to work on your own project which is pretty nice, overall I found it enjoyable and met some of the best people, moving from say A Levels you'll find the continuous assessment a bit different although I dunno how much A Levels have changed in the last few years. Anyway, be careful with time management, and keep ontop of assignments, also tutorials will likely be very worthwhile going to.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Bath - Physics courses - the placement system at Bath is one of the best in the UK - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/under...course-entries
Christine Rep
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
thank you so much, I have had a read through the link youve sent and the modules seem really interesting !! Spookily I was looking at Leicester as a potential uni choice and was wondering how you like it generally ?
Hi dafghgwthqfasvfg , I'm glad I could help!

Personally, I have really enjoyed studying here, the city is very student-friendly, activities range from going to Foxton Locks to exploring the National Space Centre, there are so many different places for you to explore! Just recently as well the Space Park was opened, and it's a place where mainly final year students and academics do research and development, so there are lots of new space-related opportunities, offered by the University!

If you want to find out more about Space Park in general, I can leave a link here, the events and research they have taking place are really interesting!
https://www.space-park.co.uk

I have also found the general teaching and support given by the Physics Department great, as there is an open door policy, so if you have a question, or don't understand a concept you've studied, there will always be someone to help out!

Regarding the campus itself, it is quite compact so everything is within walking distance which I find super useful! The new Students Union building was recently refurbished so it has a modern look, it also has lots of study spaces inside. And just in general there are great eating spots to go to on-campus with your friends, and lots of social spaces to hang out together!

If you like I can link the Open Days which are coming up soon, so if you are free you can check the campus out and get a better feel of the city!
https://le.ac.uk/open-days?utm_sourc...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Feel free to ask any more questions you have, and I hope I helped!
Christine
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I've just finished 3rd year at Imperial. They don't offer a "with Astrophysics" physics course, but I've chosen pretty much all the related modules. Keep in mind that most of the time, a course called "physics with astrophysics" is just the ordinary physics course but they pre-selected some of the optional modules for you. It makes no difference to your future prospects whether the course had "with astrophysics" in the title or not.

If you look at the Institute of Physics accreditation document, it gives you an idea of what topics you can expect at nearly all unis offering physics - read it here: https://www.iop.org/sites/default/fi...ics-degree.pdf

Special relativity and electronics would be covered anywhere you go, although I didn't have to go that far beyond A-level circuits in my course; there is a lot more maths involved with circuits then you'd have had at A-level. But I haven't done any electronic circuit problems since first year. Not all courses offer general relativity.

Don't go in to the course just for one topic. If you're interested in astrophysics, you'll need to be interested in a lot of other topics - yes relativity, but also quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, statistical physics (never what it sounds like), classical mechanics, because without these you can't really understand what's going on so you'll need to learn them first.
JMarchant80
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Can I please ask if there are any books anyone would recommend reading during this very long summer to prepare myself! Thinking of something along the lines of 'beginners guide to quantum physics' etc
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JMarchant80)
Can I please ask if there are any books anyone would recommend reading during this very long summer to prepare myself! Thinking of something along the lines of 'beginners guide to quantum physics' etc
Go through any decent online Python course. If you're already proficient in Python, do MATLAB or C++.

I wouldn't recommend buying physics books as a way of preparing yourself, because either a) it's aimed at a general audience and therefore not really helpful for your course or b) a textbook that you'd be paying a lot for and getting for free from your uni library anyway. Theoretical Minimum series by Leonard Susskind is good though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
15.31%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (25)
25.51%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (54)
55.1%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.08%

Watched Threads