a level biology help

phagocytosis-

in the book it says "the phagocyte then presents the pathogens antigen"

What does presents mean?? im so confused lol
Original post by vesq
phagocytosis-

Pathogens are viruses or bacterias to cause illnesses. The antigens are the part of the mmune system to fight these pathogens. These phagocytes as antigens react with the pathogens and stop them to expand. In short: the phagocytes are a part of the immune system.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Thank you, Yes i understand i just don't understand the last part. Point 5
(edited 1 year ago)
b

Original post by vesq
phagocytosis-

this just means that when the phagocyte destroys the pathogen it will take the antigens from the pathogen and put them on its surface. This is called an ANTIGEN-PRESENTING CELL (APC). This means that as the phagocyte travels through the blood it will trigger an immune response as the antigens will be recognised as pathogenic.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions
Reply 4
Wow, thank you so much that really helped
Reply 5
Original post by stephsmhb
b

this just means that when the phagocyte destroys the pathogen it will take the antigens from the pathogen and put them on its surface. This is called an ANTIGEN-PRESENTING CELL (APC). This means that as the phagocyte travels through the blood it will trigger an immune response as the antigens will be recognised as pathogenic.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions

Thank you so much
Reply 6
Original post by Kallisto
Pathogens are viruses or bacterias to cause illnesses. The antigens are the part of the mmune system to fight these pathogens. These phagocytes as antigens react with the pathogens and stop them to expand. In short: the phagocytes are a part of the immune system.

I don't believe that's right.

Antigen it found in the surface of the pathogen (yes, we have what's is called "self antigen" ), however in the pathogen is foreign.

Antibodies fight the pathogen by binding to the antigens.
Original post by Diac
I don't believe that's right.

Antigen it found in the surface of the pathogen (yes, we have what's is called "self antigen" ), however in the pathogen is foreign.

Antibodies fight the pathogen by binding to the antigens.

Your remark is right. I made a mistake and you corrected it. Thanks!

It is as you said: the antigens have a surface to bind. The antibodies fight the pathogens then.

Quick Reply