The Student Room Group

transport costs in London

Can any students in London share how much they spend on transport roughly? I'll be starting uni in September and might be commuting from Canary Wharf, which is approx 45 minutes away from my uni. This means catching a bus, then a train then another bus to get to campus (though for a short amount of time on each). What type of student travel card would be best - annual or pay as you go? And do you think this commute is too long and I should look for another place?
Any advice appreciated :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by sbroken23
Can any students in London share how much they spend on transport roughly? I'll be starting uni in September and might be commuting from Canary Wharf, which is approx 45 minutes away from my uni. This means catching a bus, then a train then another bus to get to campus (though for a short amount of time on each). What type of student travel card would be best - annual or pay as you go? And do you think this commute is too long and I should look for another place?
Any advice appreciated :smile:

I don't study in London, but am originally based from the capital. Assuming that your uni is in the direction of Central London, you'll probably be travelling between Zones 1-3. In that case, it's better to get a travelcard for Zones 1-3 and you can choose weekly, monthly, or annually. PAYG via a contactless payment card (must touch in with the same card/smart payment device each time) is a good option if you're not travelling to campus daily and they do daily and weekly caps - the latter won't charge you more than the weekly travelcard equivalent for Zones 1-3.

More info here: https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/new-fares?intcmp=34454#on-this-page-3

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by JT_888
I don't study in London, but am originally based from the capital. Assuming that your uni is in the direction of Central London, you'll probably be travelling between Zones 1-3. In that case, it's better to get a travelcard for Zones 1-3 and you can choose weekly, monthly, or annually. PAYG via a contactless payment card (must touch in with the same card/smart payment device each time) is a good option if you're not travelling to campus daily and they do daily and weekly caps - the latter won't charge you more than the weekly travelcard equivalent for Zones 1-3.

More info here: https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/new-fares?intcmp=34454#on-this-page-3

Hope this helps! :smile:

amazing thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest