Best Accomodation for Exeter university

Watch this thread
k.mungles
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! I've firmed Exeter for this year and am struggling to decide on accommodation. I will be on Streatham Campus so I have a few options and need to know which is best if anyone can help? My shortlist includes: Birks Grange townhouse, Lafrowda standard, East Park standard, maybe Cook or LLewyn Mews and maybe Moberly (though I can find barely any information on Moberly). Thanks!
tw559
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by k.mungles)
Hi! I've firmed Exeter for this year and am struggling to decide on accommodation. I will be on Streatham Campus so I have a few options and need to know which is best if anyone can help? My shortlist includes: Birks Grange townhouse, Lafrowda standard, East Park standard, maybe Cook or LLewyn Mews and maybe Moberly (though I can find barely any information on Moberly). Thanks!
Gonna copy my answer from other questions here.
It really depends on what you want out of your first year accommodation. For background, I'm a 1st Year student at Exeter, though I'm living in private accommodation off-campus, so I can't provide any first hand experience of living in any of the specific halls on campus. What I can do, however, is provide a fairly unbiased review of all the halls I have visited, and give their pros and cons.
So let's start with the first big divide; Catered or Self-Catered. This basically depends on whether you want to have a kitchen area in your flat where you cook for yourself each night, or whether you have a canteen that provides breakfast and dinner. Most students opt for self-catered, since it provides more of the traditional uni experience and you can control what and when you eat, plus there's more halls that are self-catered. On the other hand, people in catered don't have to worry about buying food and going shopping or cooking, since rent includes breakfast and dinner (though as a result, rent is more expensive). One thing to keep in mind though is that most catered accommodation also kicks you out over between terms, whereas self-catered does not.
Assuming you're like many and are going to apply for self-catered, I'll go over a few of them.
First off, East Park. One of the newest accommodations blocks, East Park is very nice. It's got Games Rooms, Study Rooms and most of the facilities are fairly modern. It has 2 types of rooms; Standard (shared bathroom) and En-suite. Standard rooms are about 9.6m², En-suite are about 12.7m². Standard rooms are flats of 8 to 10, and En-suite are 5 to 8. It's on the east side of campus (shocking, I know), so it's decently close to most of the STEM buildings (other than the Physics building), but it's a bit further away from some of the Humanities buildings (though it's still close to Amory). It's also built on a big hill, so depending on whether you live at the top or bottom of East Park, you may have to contend with a lot of stairs to get where you need to be.
Next up is Lafrowda. Closer to both the center of Streatham and Town, it's one of the more popular and well known Halls, and it has a reputation for having a lot of parties going on, which is deserved because it does. Quite close to Lafrowda is also Rowe House, which is similar in location and style, though the rooms are a bit smaller (about 12m²) and all En-suite with Double beds. Lafrowda has 3 types of rooms; Standard (10.5m², up to 12 people per flat, single bed), En-suite (14.7m², up to 8 people per flat, single bed) and Studio (16.1m², room with kitchenette, 3/4 double bed). Both Rowe and Lafrowda are fairly popular, but don't have the Games Rooms or in-hall Study Spaces that East Park has. That said, you'll have a communal space in your flat where you can study and play games, and there are various places around campus to do so as well, so I wouldn't worry too much about not having them.
Finally, we have Birks, Duryard and Moberly. I'm lumping these three together since they're all on the west side of campus. This means that they're gonna be a bit further away from campus center and a bit further away from town center, though they do also have less parties going on, so if you're not so much into that then these may be the ones to go. Since there's three of them and this post is already getting really long, I'm just gonna go over some quick points for a few of them. Birks has a shop fairly nearby, and is fairly close to Kay House, which is a music practice area. Duryard is also fairly close to Kay House and is close to Birks, only offers En-suite rooms and is probably the furthest away accommodation from campus center and town center. Moberly is one of the newer accommodation buildings, only has standard rooms but does have some quite nice facilities.
Pictures and virtual tours of all the accommodations I mentioned are on the pages linked in their names. Hope this helps, and if you have any further questions, feel free to ask! Also, sorry about the text dump, tried to be as comprehensive as possible.
k.mungles
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by tw559)
Gonna copy my answer from other questions here.
It really depends on what you want out of your first year accommodation. For background, I'm a 1st Year student at Exeter, though I'm living in private accommodation off-campus, so I can't provide any first hand experience of living in any of the specific halls on campus. What I can do, however, is provide a fairly unbiased review of all the halls I have visited, and give their pros and cons.
So let's start with the first big divide; Catered or Self-Catered. This basically depends on whether you want to have a kitchen area in your flat where you cook for yourself each night, or whether you have a canteen that provides breakfast and dinner. Most students opt for self-catered, since it provides more of the traditional uni experience and you can control what and when you eat, plus there's more halls that are self-catered. On the other hand, people in catered don't have to worry about buying food and going shopping or cooking, since rent includes breakfast and dinner (though as a result, rent is more expensive). One thing to keep in mind though is that most catered accommodation also kicks you out over between terms, whereas self-catered does not.
Assuming you're like many and are going to apply for self-catered, I'll go over a few of them.
First off, East Park. One of the newest accommodations blocks, East Park is very nice. It's got Games Rooms, Study Rooms and most of the facilities are fairly modern. It has 2 types of rooms; Standard (shared bathroom) and En-suite. Standard rooms are about 9.6m², En-suite are about 12.7m². Standard rooms are flats of 8 to 10, and En-suite are 5 to 8. It's on the east side of campus (shocking, I know), so it's decently close to most of the STEM buildings (other than the Physics building), but it's a bit further away from some of the Humanities buildings (though it's still close to Amory). It's also built on a big hill, so depending on whether you live at the top or bottom of East Park, you may have to contend with a lot of stairs to get where you need to be.
Next up is Lafrowda. Closer to both the center of Streatham and Town, it's one of the more popular and well known Halls, and it has a reputation for having a lot of parties going on, which is deserved because it does. Quite close to Lafrowda is also Rowe House, which is similar in location and style, though the rooms are a bit smaller (about 12m²) and all En-suite with Double beds. Lafrowda has 3 types of rooms; Standard (10.5m², up to 12 people per flat, single bed), En-suite (14.7m², up to 8 people per flat, single bed) and Studio (16.1m², room with kitchenette, 3/4 double bed). Both Rowe and Lafrowda are fairly popular, but don't have the Games Rooms or in-hall Study Spaces that East Park has. That said, you'll have a communal space in your flat where you can study and play games, and there are various places around campus to do so as well, so I wouldn't worry too much about not having them.
Finally, we have Birks, Duryard and Moberly. I'm lumping these three together since they're all on the west side of campus. This means that they're gonna be a bit further away from campus center and a bit further away from town center, though they do also have less parties going on, so if you're not so much into that then these may be the ones to go. Since there's three of them and this post is already getting really long, I'm just gonna go over some quick points for a few of them. Birks has a shop fairly nearby, and is fairly close to Kay House, which is a music practice area. Duryard is also fairly close to Kay House and is close to Birks, only offers En-suite rooms and is probably the furthest away accommodation from campus center and town center. Moberly is one of the newer accommodation buildings, only has standard rooms but does have some quite nice facilities.
Pictures and virtual tours of all the accommodations I mentioned are on the pages linked in their names. Hope this helps, and if you have any further questions, feel free to ask! Also, sorry about the text dump, tried to be as comprehensive as possible.
Thank you so much this was so helpful! Would you say the standard rooms in Lafrowda are really as bad as some people say they are? And thank you thousands for the text dump, I needed as much info as possible so this was perfect!
tw559
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by k.mungles)
Thank you so much this was so helpful! Would you say the standard rooms in Lafrowda are really as bad as some people say they are? And thank you thousands for the text dump, I needed as much info as possible so this was perfect!
You can see the standard rooms on the virtual tour; they're pretty barebones, and it's not a newer accommodation like East Park, so it's gonna seem more dated. That said, my friends who are in standard rooms at Lafrowda don't have any complaints. I'll post a review that one of them sent me below!
'8.5/10, it's so fricking cheap, no problems with most of the facilities, having a sink in my room is really useful and ive never had trouble using toilets. If people are icky about sharing toilets/showers or if people don't want to self cater i can see why you wouldn't want it. But the main selling points are how friggin close to campus it is and how cheap it is, which were my two main criteria'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads