The Student Room Group

Would I still be able to gain muscle or maintain with this routine?

Workout A - Monday
Bench Press
Dumbell Shoulder press
Deadlift
Barbell Bent Over row

Workout B - Friday
Barbell Overheadpress
Weighted Dips
Weighted Pullups
Squats
Shrugs

Twice a week full body workout the reason is because I box aswell but would I still gain if I were to progressive overload or atleast maintain my physique/strength with this routine?
Personally I think that you're workout sort of doesn't make sense. But that's just what I think, if you only had 2 of those days and you want to do those exercises I would plan it out this way

Workout A - Monday
Bench Press
Barbell Overheadpress
Weighted Dips
Dumbell Shoulder press

Workout B - Friday
Deadlift
Barbell Bent Over row
Weighted Pullups
Squats
Shrugs

That way you are activating the muscles that are in similar groups but I'm not some fitness expert but that's something I would do
Reply 2
bump
Reply 3
Or should I do this?

Bench press - 5x5
Overheadpress - 5x5
Deadlift/Row (Deadlift 2 x 5) Row - 5x5
Pullup - 5x5
Squat - 5x5
Dips - 8x3

Alternating between deadlift and row

or would it be too much to do them in one go?
Original post by Agent456
Or should I do this?

Bench press - 5x5
Overheadpress - 5x5
Deadlift/Row (Deadlift 2 x 5) Row - 5x5
Pullup - 5x5
Squat - 5x5
Dips - 8x3

Alternating between deadlift and row

or would it be too much to do them in one go?

You don't want to overwork yourself as well so I wouldn't do it all in one day. If I were you and I only had 2 days, One day would be Chest, Triceps, Shoulders. The other day I would do Back, Biceps, Legs. But I would focus more on the larger group of muscles such as Back and Chest because in doing them you work the smaller ones such as Triceps/Biceps.
Reply 5
Original post by TSmithFC
You don't want to overwork yourself as well so I wouldn't do it all in one day. If I were you and I only had 2 days, One day would be Chest, Triceps, Shoulders. The other day I would do Back, Biceps, Legs. But I would focus more on the larger group of muscles such as Back and Chest because in doing them you work the smaller ones such as Triceps/Biceps.

wb this?

Workout A - Monday

Bench Press - 5x5
Overheadpress - 5x5
Deadlift - 2x5
Pullup - 5x5
Squat - 5x5

Workout B - Friday

Bench Press - 5x5
Overheadpress - 5x5
any rowing movement (barbell bent over row/T-bar row etc) - 5x5
Squat - 5x5
Dips - 8x3

its cus i box aswell u see
Reply 6
Original post by TSmithFC
Personally I think that you're workout sort of doesn't make sense. But that's just what I think, if you only had 2 of those days and you want to do those exercises I would plan it out this way

Workout A - Monday
Bench Press
Barbell Overheadpress
Weighted Dips
Dumbell Shoulder press

Workout B - Friday
Deadlift
Barbell Bent Over row
Weighted Pullups
Squats
Shrugs

That way you are activating the muscles that are in similar groups but I'm not some fitness expert but that's something I would do

I'm not sure I agree with this, especially if he's only training twice a week. I know traditionally bodybuilders did group similar muscle groups into one day per week, but modern research indicates it's much more optimal to stimulate each muscle more frequently than once per week, so I'd suggest doing pressing, pulling and legs on both days to get the better frequency.

Original post by Agent456
wb this?

Workout A - Monday

Bench Press - 5x5
Overheadpress - 5x5
Deadlift - 2x5
Pullup - 5x5
Squat - 5x5

Workout B - Friday

Bench Press - 5x5
Overheadpress - 5x5
any rowing movement (barbell bent over row/T-bar row etc) - 5x5
Squat - 5x5
Dips - 8x3

its cus i box aswell u see

Are you a beginner? And what % of your one rep max are you using? 5 x 5 is usually done with around 75 - 85 % of one rep max depending on how close to failure someone is training. Doing 5 x 5 like this on nearly everything is okay for beginners getting newbie gains but if you're stronger, or once you get stronger, it will become extremely difficult for the later exercises. If it's not difficult it's because you're not using enough weight. I'd suggest some higher rep work (8 - 12) mixed in with the heavier stuff. For example, you can do a heavy pushing exercise in workout A and a lighter one of the same exercise for workout B. You should still progressively overload these over time just like heavier weight.

Also, you have so much more upper body pushing than pulling or legs. Since you only have 2 days to train, I'd completely replace dips with another pulling exercise, such as face pulls.

And squats usually should be more towards the beginning of your workout. I'm too knackered to brace properly with heavy squats at the end of my workout. The end of your workout is where less heavy, higher rep exercises should go.

Quick Reply

Latest