Unsure about Uni choice after visiting the city

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
First off I don't have firm and insurance as I already have my results. I put down Sussex uni as my choice after lots and lots of research. I didn't visit as I live quite far away and had no means of visiting at the time. I decided to go for it as I really liked the course there (applied for marketing) and its range of modules. I liked how it was close to london. Brighton looked interesting with lots to do etc..

I actually did get the opportunity to visit brighton, unexpectedly, a couple of days ago. I didn't go to sussex campus at all though. I didn't like Brighton that much?? Everyone says good things about Brighton but to me it seemed a bit depressing?? I felt really disappointed and it felt a different vibe to the pictures and videos I had seen of brighton online.

I know this is why you should visit before deciding but I had no financial ability, don't have a car (it would be a pain on the train to get there + expensive) and my circumstances make it difficult to go anywhere.

Currently I am a bit concerned. There are other cons to sussex uni that I have seen online such as poor satisfaction rates and strikes seem to be fairly common place? Plus how expensive it is to live there.

The other place I had applied to was Reading (consumer behaviour and marketing) and I was debating between the two prior to deciding. I wasn't that keen on reading just due to it seeming a bit lacklustre. I am aware the business school is triple accredited. I am not sure how much that would benefit me though as my plans currently to go into teaching.

I know its past the deadline for applying and that if I wanted to reapply for Reading I'd have to go through UCAS extra/ clearing if there is even places etc..

I just feel a bit stuck really. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are or if anyone has any advice? I wasn't expecting to feel a bit meh about Brighton.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Can't provide any guidance regarding the vibe of each city, but just to note that you can swap your replies if you get the approval of all the unis involved.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Admit-One)
Can't provide any guidance regarding the vibe of each city, but just to note that you can swap your replies if you get the approval of all the unis involved.
Thank you. I didn't know that that's helpful.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you. I didn't know that that's helpful.
No worries, it's covered on the following page under "Changed your mind about your replies?". Note that there is a deadline for swaps.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...te-application
themartinipolice
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
First off I don't have firm and insurance as I already have my results. I put down Sussex uni as my choice after lots and lots of research. I didn't visit as I live quite far away and had no means of visiting at the time. I decided to go for it as I really liked the course there (applied for marketing) and its range of modules. I liked how it was close to london. Brighton looked interesting with lots to do etc..

I actually did get the opportunity to visit brighton, unexpectedly, a couple of days ago. I didn't go to sussex campus at all though. I didn't like Brighton that much?? Everyone says good things about Brighton but to me it seemed a bit depressing?? I felt really disappointed and it felt a different vibe to the pictures and videos I had seen of brighton online.

I know this is why you should visit before deciding but I had no financial ability, don't have a car (it would be a pain on the train to get there + expensive) and my circumstances make it difficult to go anywhere.

Currently I am a bit concerned. There are other cons to sussex uni that I have seen online such as poor satisfaction rates and strikes seem to be fairly common place? Plus how expensive it is to live there.

The other place I had applied to was Reading (consumer behaviour and marketing) and I was debating between the two prior to deciding. I wasn't that keen on reading just due to it seeming a bit lacklustre. I am aware the business school is triple accredited. I am not sure how much that would benefit me though as my plans currently to go into teaching.

I know its past the deadline for applying and that if I wanted to reapply for Reading I'd have to go through UCAS extra/ clearing if there is even places etc..

I just feel a bit stuck really. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are or if anyone has any advice? I wasn't expecting to feel a bit meh about Brighton.
hey I'm going to Sussex hopefully! my other top choice was Liverpool.

I'll just say I completely know what you're feeling. I went for an applicant day at Sussex last week, it's quite far so we got there the day before to explore the city and stayed over. tbh going in I was completely set on Liverpool, but I really fell in love with Sussex while I was there,

First off, how was the weather? Brighton seems to be a city that really comes out in the sun, for one of the days I was there it was a bit gloomy, the other was sunny, and genuinely the difference was insane, a completely different city in the sun. I remember getting there in the gloomy grey and being a bit let down, I thought it was missing that vibe I expected, then the sun came out and it was everything I expected.

Also which bits did you go to, some parts of Brighton admittedly seemed a bit more run down. But much of the city is genuinely soooo lovely.

It's a shame you didn't get to go to the campus, because that is what sold me. On pictures the campus looks a bit grim, but it was just insanely good. There is just so much greenery and nature around, the buildings look so much better in person, there were people riding bikes everywhere, people reading and studying all over the place on the grass, people playing frisbee, I saw a yoga class on one of the bits of grass. The accomodation was unexpectedly nice too. It just had such a happy campus feel. I've visited a few other unis and this was by far the best.

One other thing worth noting is (I think) most students have been off for easter break the past few weeks. And students make up a big part of Sussex, so it's possible a lot had gone home. If you were to visit again this month, the fringe has just begun, it's a month long arts festival across the whole city, so it becomes a lot more lively. And it's only going to get more lively as we head into summer. You also didn't get to see Brighton nightlife which is also an aspect it really shines in.

Keep in mind to compare your criticisms to the rest of the country. I know what you mean with people bigging up Brighton, I think I half expected it to be some kind of paradise, but it's still England. For example I was quite surprised at the litter and graffiti (not the cool graffiti, I liked that). It wasn't until I got back to my city that I realised there was twice as much litter and graffiti here.

The last thing I'll mention is not to put too much thought into the vibe and feeling. It is important but it's far from the most important. I say this because all my friends went to uni this year, I'm a year behind. Of them half of them want to drop out or transfer, and every single one of them went to visit and fell in love because it 'felt right'. On the other hand, 2 of my friends missed their offers, and had to go to their insurance choices (that they visited and hated), and they're both absolutely loving it. Vibe isn't everything, it changes everyday, and it depends on who you're with and 1000 other factors.

Anyway that got quite rambly but I just don't want you to write off Sussex, because I had my mind completely changed on it. Brighton is consistently voted one of the liveliest and happiest places to live in the country, with some of the best nightlife. I'll be honest I don't know much about reading, but I don't think it will compete with Brighton for lifestyle.

At the end of the day though it's your choice. You should take into account your feelings from this day, but more importantly weight up other logical factors. Hope this helped at least a little, good luck! xx
Last edited by themartinipolice; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by themartinipolice)
hey I'm going to Sussex hopefully! my other top choice was Liverpool.

I'll just say I completely know what you're feeling. I went for an applicant day at Sussex last week, it's quite far so we got there the day before to explore the city and stayed over. tbh going in I was completely set on Liverpool, but I really fell in love with Sussex while I was there,

First off, how was the weather? Brighton seems to be a city that really comes out in the sun, for one of the days I was there it was a bit gloomy, the other was sunny, and genuinely the difference was insane, a completely different city in the sun. I remember getting there in the gloomy grey and being a bit let down, I thought it was missing that vibe I expected, then the sun came out and it was everything I expected.

Also which bits did you go to, some parts of Brighton admittedly seemed a bit more run down. But much of the city is genuinely soooo lovely.

It's a shame you didn't get to go to the campus, because that is what sold me. On pictures the campus looks a bit grim, but it was just insanely good. There is just so much greenery and nature around, the buildings look so much better in person, there were people riding bikes everywhere, people reading and studying all over the place on the grass, people playing frisbee, I saw a yoga class on one of the bits of grass. The accomodation was unexpectedly nice too. It just had such a happy campus feel. I've visited a few other unis and this was by far the best.

One other thing worth noting is (I think) most students have been off for easter break the past few weeks. And students make up a big part of Sussex, so it's possible a lot had gone home. If you were to visit again this month, the fringe has just begun, it's a month long arts festival across the whole city, so it becomes a lot more lively. And it's only going to get more lively as we head into summer. You also didn't get to see Brighton nightlife which is also an aspect it really shines in.

Keep in mind to compare your criticisms to the rest of the country. I know what you mean with people bigging up Brighton, I think I half expected it to be some kind of paradise, but it's still England. For example I was quite surprised at the litter and graffiti (not the cool graffiti, I liked that). It wasn't until I got back to my city that I realised there was twice as much litter and graffiti here.

The last thing I'll mention is not to put too much thought into the vibe and feeling. It is important but it's far from the most important. I say this because all my friends went to uni this year, I'm a year behind. Of them half of them want to drop out or transfer, and every single one of them went to visit and fell in love because it 'felt right'. On the other hand, 2 of my friends missed their offers, and had to go to their insurance choices (that they visited and hated), and they're both absolutely loving it. Vibe isn't everything, it changes everyday, and it depends on who you're with and 1000 other factors.

Anyway that got quite rambly but I just don't want you to write off Sussex, because I had my mind completely changed on it. Brighton is consistently voted one of the liveliest and happiest places to live in the country, with some of the best nightlife. I'll be honest I don't know much about reading, but I don't think it will compete with Brighton for lifestyle.

At the end of the day though it's your choice. You should take into account your feelings from this day, but more importantly weight up other logical factors. Hope this helped at least a little, good luck! xx
Sorry for the late reply! You've made some really good points that has helped me to clarify my thoughts more.

I think if I had the opportunity to go around the campus it would've been different I agree.

I have revisited photos and videos and compared courses again etc and I still want to go to Sussex over anywhere else. I think when I went I had such high hopes of it being a paradise like you said. Just because of the way everyone described it as. I come from a much more rural area and haven't been to tons of proper cities so I think for me it was a bit of a shock but some of it was lovely (Loved the lanes).

Definitely sticking with my choice but I am glad I have a much well rounded view and can actually picture the place now and what it might be like. xx Thanks a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads