Applying for Spanish at uni

Watch this thread
Rachael_04
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I'm in year 12 and am considering applying for Spanish at university (most probably on a joint honours degree with English Literature).
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on anything that I should be doing outside of my A-level work in order to make my application stand out and show my passion for the subject.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even if it's just Spanish TV shows to watch or music artists to listen to!
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Read Spanish literature in the original language probably, especially if you are aiming to combine it with English lit anyway. Talk to your Spanish teacher about what might be accessible to your level (not sure if you'll be able to start reading Cervantes or Octavio Paz immediately!). This is particularly recommended if you plan to apply to Oxford or Cambridge since their modern languages courses, even the single honours versions, tend to be very literature focused (especially Oxford).
evakesiax
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rachael_04)
Hi, I'm in year 12 and am considering applying for Spanish at university (most probably on a joint honours degree with English Literature).
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on anything that I should be doing outside of my A-level work in order to make my application stand out and show my passion for the subject.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even if it's just Spanish TV shows to watch or music artists to listen to!
I'm in year 13 and I'll be doing french and Spanish in uni this September. In my application, I mentioned that I helped teach some year 7 Spanish classes. So perhaps speak to your teachers about doing that. I also read books on different aspects of Hispanic culture to show that my interest goes beyond Spain.
In terms of shows, I would suggest Las chicas del cable, La casa del papel, and el Gran Hotel. I would also listen to the Duolingo Spanish podcast because it tells the stories of Hispanic people and how the things we hear and see on the news affect them.
Rachael_04
Rep:
(Original post by evakesiax)
I'm in year 13 and I'll be doing french and Spanish in uni this September. In my application, I mentioned that I helped teach some year 7 Spanish classes. So perhaps speak to your teachers about doing that. I also read books on different aspects of Hispanic culture to show that my interest goes beyond Spain.
In terms of shows, I would suggest Las chicas del cable, La casa del papel, and el Gran Hotel. I would also listen to the Duolingo Spanish podcast because it tells the stories of Hispanic people and how the things we hear and see on the news affect them.
Thank you so much, that's great!
Rachael_04
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Read Spanish literature in the original language probably, especially if you are aiming to combine it with English lit anyway. Talk to your Spanish teacher about what might be accessible to your level (not sure if you'll be able to start reading Cervantes or Octavio Paz immediately!). This is particularly recommended if you plan to apply to Oxford or Cambridge since their modern languages courses, even the single honours versions, tend to be very literature focused (especially Oxford).
Great thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (17)
29.82%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
38.6%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.51%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.26%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
7.02%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.28%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.75%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.75%

Watched Threads