The Student Room Group

Academic supervisor?

Does my academic supervisor have to be based at the uni I am applying for my PhD? My PhD will be self funded, and the topic I'm wanting to do my thesis on is very specific and I can't find a supervisor who would have the area of study I would need. I have found some really good supervisors elsewhere in America/Australia, but not the uk.
Original post by Samantha Hocking
Does my academic supervisor have to be based at the uni I am applying for my PhD? My PhD will be self funded, and the topic I'm wanting to do my thesis on is very specific and I can't find a supervisor who would have the area of study I would need. I have found some really good supervisors elsewhere in America/Australia, but not the uk.

Not in 100% of cases, but it's highly unlikely you'd get an overseas Supervisor. The university you are signed up at is the one carrying the reputational risk and quality control of awarding the degree. They don't hand that off to random academics they don't know very well. I've only seen it happen between say Cambridge and LSE where the LSE academic had only recently left the Cambridge department.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending