The Student Room Group

stuck on what masters to do..

I've graduated with a degree in biochemistry, but I don't know what masters to apply for. I don't mind doing something outside of science but then they require work experience. Also I don't want to be a really intense science masters that has lab work. Does anyone have any recommendations about what masters to apply for?
Original post by ameenatariq
I've graduated with a degree in biochemistry, but I don't know what masters to apply for. I don't mind doing something outside of science but then they require work experience. Also I don't want to be a really intense science masters that has lab work. Does anyone have any recommendations about what masters to apply for?

Hi @ameenatariq,

I come from a Humanities background so I can't advise on particular courses. However I think it's a case of thinking about why you want to do a masters and then researching your options and finding something that interests you and allows you to pursue those wider interests and aims.

As you've already identified, most pure science masters programmes will require lab work - and usually quite a lot of it. But there are plenty of interdisciplinary programmes out there that would allow you to use the skills you have gained as a biochemist in a slightly different way. If you're really interested in the environment, for example, you could consider using your skills as a biochemist on an environmental and sustainability masters. There's also increasing interdisciplinary options emerging in the field of Science Humanities if your interests lie there.

Even just looking through Keele's postgraduate course list will give you an idea of the variety of programmes out there: https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/postgraduatestudy/postgraduatecourses/, and other universities will, of course, have other options.

If that seems a daunting task on your own, remember that your university careers service can help. Most of them offer support to alumni and recent graduates and they aren't just there to help you find a job (although thinking about your eventual career can definitely help you when choosing a postgraduate programme) but can also help with routes into and applications for further study.

Amy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending