The Student Room Group

A Level History

Hello, I'm in year 12 and currently am doing A Level AQA History. I was just wondering what revision methods people find work well? And also what essay structures work for different people?
This is a potentially annoying answer for 'what revision methods people find work well' it really comes down to how do you work best and what you struggle with. Here are some things I found helpful during a-levels and uni. this may seem like a ramble (my brain is scrambled today apologies).

For dates & events:
> if you struggle with date rendition - flashcards, quizzes.
> struggle with placing events in context - timelines!! (these timelines can be made into flashcards ^ for each event aka. St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre - cause, events, consequences).
> event - flashcards OR mind map (cause, event, consequence, KEY PEOPLE, THEMES).

themes:
> individuals - flashcards (yes I am a handwritten flashcard adorer) to save paper a ppt or quizlet can be good.
> wider topics - timeline of how it fits in (e.g, religion and tudors or wars and tudors etc etc.

source work (these questions can vary by exam board)
> use the acronym you were taught, ensure you know the different things about primary and secondary sources (provenance etc etc).
> find random potential sources and evaluate them.

Answering questions:
going over mark schemes (don't just copy them!) and if examiners have uploaded examples look at them.
going over additional mock questions (which you can sometimes find online) .
answering textbook questions (if you utilise a certain textbook, use it!)

it really depends what works for you & kinda slightly depends on exam board but hopefully some of the above may help you consider what is best for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending