The Student Room Group

Dear Future Student

Dear Future Student,

YOU HAVE DONE IT! All the worries you have had about your A-Levels and BTEC are finally over and now you are about to embark on this life-changing journey. I remembered when I left home a few years ago to start my university experience and trust me when I say this, I was scared, confused, skeptical and I probably went through the different stages of grief within 10 seconds on a daily basis. Honestly, going to university was one of the best decisions I ever made, however here are some things I wish I knew before going.

Attend most of the freshers’ events. One of my greatest regrets is barely going to any of the freshers’ events. These events were excellent opportunities to make friends and start building your university network. I also missed out on the freebies and some university survival tips. As a uni student, the words FREE and FREEBIES are like music to our ears.

Buy groceries in bulk. I honestly wish I knew about this in my first year. Buying groceries in bulk saves you so much money. Currently, I spend approximately £50-£70 on a month and a half worth of groceries. I have been able to use to extra cash on quick trips to the surrounding cities across the Midlands and the occasional trip down to London.

You are not alone. I always had the idea that I was the only one struggling with my course or with coping with university, however, this was completely false. Others around you will be struggling to cope too and forming support groups with each other is an excellent way to get through university. There is also support available through the university to help you cope.

A proper diet is possible at university. With proper meal planning, it is actually possible to maintain a well-balanced diet whilst at university. Leicester is extremely affordable, and I have been able to buy fresh fruits and vegetables at the Leicester Market, meats at the halal shops, and healthy starches at Lidl, Tesco, and Asda. Ensure that you purchase 5-6 bowls during your first week at university to pack your meals.

Have fun! Yes, you are attending university to get your degree, but you must also be able to have fun. University is where you find yourself and I would almost describe it as an initiation to adulthood. Don’t be afraid to try new things, join a society, play a sport, attend a festival, or even take a DMU Global trip. At the end of the day remember that you can maintain a healthy university life (academic life + social life) through proper time management.

The university experience will be something that you have never experienced in your life. Remember to have fun, build your network, and don’t be afraid to ask for help. Be ready to spread your wings and soar.

YOU GOT THIS!

-Dennis
LOVE this! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending