The Student Room Group

Disability Advice and Support at De Montfort University

One of the things that worried me the most about attending university far away from my friends and family, was the disability services that would be available. After researching my university choices, I realised that DMU had the support that I aligned with that I was looking for.

Now you may be wondering what type of support is available and what impairments/conditions are included. The following is just some of the impairments/conditions that are supported at DMU. It is important to note that this just gives examples of the disabilities. If your disability isn't mentioned, have no fear, they will support you. All you have to do is contact the team using the contact details below. The conditions/impairments include and are not limited to:

:yy: Visual or hearing impairment
:yy: Autism, including Asperger's
:yy: Physical impairments or mobility difficulties
:yy: Long-term or progressive medical conditions e.g., diabetes, sickle cell anemia, epilepsy, cancer, HIV, arthritis, chronic fatigue syndrome
:yy: Specific learning difference e.g., dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia

Several services are offered to students. I've had the opportunity of using some of the services offered and I felt very confident discussing the necessary steps and the outcome. Below is a list of some of the support that is offered.

:thumbsup: Assistance with applying for the Disabled Students’ Allowances funding
:thumbsup: Referral for an assessment with an Educational Psychologist
:thumbsup: Referral for Autistic Spectrum Disorder assessment
:thumbsup: Identification of individual reasonable adjustments
:thumbsup: Arrangements for study need assessments
:thumbsup: Liaison with academic and other University departments
:thumbsup: Exam support please see the exams support for information on deadlines and how to access support.

It is quite easy to book a conversation with the disability team. Current student can book an appointment through the online booking service myGateway to discuss any requirements, concerns or questions they may have. There is a separate process for prospective students who wish to discuss the support available to them at university. The process involves declaring any disability to ensure appropriate support and advice is provided. Student support meetings can also be arranged to discuss special adjustments prior to joining DMU. You can also view student stories about their individual support at university on our YouTube channel. You can access full playlist of student stories, detailing their experiences, the support on offer and how it helped them achieve their full potential. This short video will also help you provide further information and answers to most asked questions. If you query is not covered in the video, you can email the team at [email protected].

For any queries regarding Disability advice and support, kindly contact our dedicated Disability Advice Team Student Gateway, Gateway House
T: +44 (0) 116 257 7595
E: [email protected]

Undoubtedly, I can attest to the fact that DMU enables prospective and current students to achieve their full potential. I truly hope this helps and I look forward towards welcoming you guys at DMU!

- Dennis (PhD Air Transport Management Student) :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest