The Student Room Group

Ideas why Elon Musk would buy twitter?

Isn't Twitter a strange company for Musk to have corp. takeover?

He says he wants a 'free speech platform' - but that won't happen any time soon. We have our cancel culture, wokery and twitter mobery.

At the end of the day, its just a boring website full of stuffy people. :s-smilie:
Reply 1
What, you wouldnt buy one of the biggest social media platforms on the internet if you had the money? :tongue: There is massive influence and power in that.
I think it actually is about free speech. Musk has f—- y— money and when you have that kind of money and you see something that you don’t like, you change it even if it seems impossible.

Twitter has been a lefty cesspit for years and behaved in an egregious manner that utterly contradicts its purpose, so Musk moans about it on Twitter. A lot of blue check marks mug him off and so he says “f you - I’m buying the platform”

The greatest fear the mob have is not that they will be silenced- it’s that they won’t be able to silence other people.
(edited 1 year ago)
Think about it - TSR is a microcosm of Twitter. We all know that it isn’t a neutral platform and that certain views are silenced for purely philosophical purposes. We also know that if someone with a lot of money came along, all those problems would simply go away. The people that cancel and silence would cry and wail and continue to pretend that anything they don’t like is an evil right wing plot - but they would know that really they’re just upset because someone with a lot of money has come along and removed their power over other people. And what would upset them the most is that they know full well that their political top cover was always for sale.
I actually support him buying it.
Billionaire things innit
There’s a huge difference between cancel/woke culture and having that ish in rules and law.

When you do the latter then it is essentially removing free speech we he doesn’t want. Twitter was banning users for disliked opinions and that’s the issue.
Original post by Little pecker
There’s a huge difference between cancel/woke culture and having that ish in rules and law.

When you do the latter then it is essentially removing free speech we he doesn’t want. Twitter was banning users for disliked opinions and that’s the issue.

I think the bigger issue wasn't so much "disliked opinons", more that there was actual news censorship. There's a strong argument that Twitter affected the 2020 Presidential election outcome - maybe not the result, but certainly the vote share. Forget banning Trump - his Twitter feed was just nonsense anyway - but look at things like the laptop issue. They actively supressed a serious political scandal on the grounds that it was misinformation- and it turned out to be true. They literally took it upon themselves to decide what was and what was not the truth.
Reply 8
Original post by Foxehh
What, you wouldnt buy one of the biggest social media platforms on the internet if you had the money? :tongue: There is massive influence and power in that.

But my impression is that Elon likes to fix difficult problems and find innovation. Twitter seems fairly pedestrian compared to SpaceX and Tesla etc...

And what does he care about influence and power. He already has all it, don't you think?
Reply 9
Original post by Pythian
But my impression is that Elon likes to fix difficult problems and find innovation. Twitter seems fairly pedestrian compared to SpaceX and Tesla etc...

And what does he care about influence and power. He already has all it, don't you think?

Having money and being a well known name in itself doesnt mean influence or power... Elon certainly has some amount of influence over his other wealthy peers and supporters but in the grand scheme of things that's not a lot. The media however, in this age of technology, decides everything for everyday people. The content that we see shapes our viewpoint of the world, and the media decides what that content will be. That is some serious power.
Original post by Trinculo
I think it actually is about free speech. Musk has f—- y— money and when you have that kind of money and you see something that you don’t like, you change it even if it seems impossible.

Twitter has been a lefty cesspit for years and behaved in an egregious manner that utterly contradicts its purpose, so Musk moans about it on Twitter. A lot of blue check marks mug him off and so he says “f you - I’m buying the platform”

The greatest fear the mob have is not that they will be silenced- it’s that they won’t be able to silence other people.

I agree...
He’s done if because he’s the richest man on the planet and he can buy whatever he wants
I hope he does allow free speech. The left are taking over social media and literally aren’t allowing anybody to say their own thing. And immediately removed their comments. If the president of Iran isn’t banned on Twitter but trump is, how does that make sense?

Quick Reply

Latest