The Student Room Group

exam stress

I will be writing my AS biology unit 1 on the 9th. Im a private candidate and have to do much of the studying myself. I haven't been able to do a lot of past papers and when I do open one and try to do the questions I find im not able to do the questions or understand it and apply properly. I feel very stressed and have no confidence.
I am having panic attacks and anxiety when I think about the exam day. I feel like a failure and disappointment my family feels. I don't know what I will do if I fail. I don't think could handle it. I had always been a cheerful person but I don't feel happy on the inside. I open my books to study but I sit and cry and not able to study.
Reply 1
Original post by Wildflower14
I will be writing my AS biology unit 1 on the 9th. Im a private candidate and have to do much of the studying myself. I haven't been able to do a lot of past papers and when I do open one and try to do the questions I find im not able to do the questions or understand it and apply properly. I feel very stressed and have no confidence.
I am having panic attacks and anxiety when I think about the exam day. I feel like a failure and disappointment my family feels. I don't know what I will do if I fail. I don't think could handle it. I had always been a cheerful person but I don't feel happy on the inside. I open my books to study but I sit and cry and not able to study.

Listen- you are not a failure or a disappointment. You have over a week, plan on revising the topics you’re the weakest at, go on youtube and watch some videos on exam technique and try to practice. When I did my biology exams I watched ‘Freesciencelessons’ channel (a guy in a suit goes through topics) and ‘science and maths by primrose kitten’ another YouTuber who’s actually a teacher. Watching the videos definitely counts as revision and made me feel calmer as the YouTubers break things down into simpler descriptions so you understand better.

Also you can handle it, you will get past this and a week is a long enough to turn your confidence around. I too cried about my GCSE exams.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Wildflower14

dw,ur not alone.
Even im a private candidate nd i do edexcel (int) AS chem,bio nd phy. It's been a struggle...My exams start on May 9th so yeee.....
I use PMT flashcards nd notes cz it makes it way more easier to understand the concepts. Then if u feel like the past papers are too new to u, try doing the past papers with the markscheme in ur hand so u get an idea on wat the examiner wants. Then eventually u vl be able to do the past papers without the markscheme. Conduct a mock exam nd focus on the areas where u hv gone wrong. This technique helped me alot so thought to share it to ya.
Even m really stressed out cz its my first time sitting for a board exm. I got straight A's for my igcse's so m desperate for gd grades this year too.
dw too much abt ur exams, im sure u vl do pretty well nd ur not a failure. U GOT THIS!!! GOOD LUCK!!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest