The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Self-catered college help!!

So when ranking my colleges I've put St Cuths at the top, but I'm trying to figure out how to rank the other self-catered colleges. So far I've put: St Cuths, Josephine Butler, then Stephenson, but now I'm wondering whether to put John Snow or South higher up.

I'm looking for a self-catered college that is very lively and puts on lots of events (that everyone actually gets involved with), but not too bothered about location. Not too bothered about gowned formals but it would be nice if formals were pretty regular? Also it would be nice to know the reputation of these colleges. Please help!

Thanks!!
Original post by Funnnn
So when ranking my colleges I've put St Cuths at the top, but I'm trying to figure out how to rank the other self-catered colleges. So far I've put: St Cuths, Josephine Butler, then Stephenson, but now I'm wondering whether to put John Snow or South higher up.

I'm looking for a self-catered college that is very lively and puts on lots of events (that everyone actually gets involved with), but not too bothered about location. Not too bothered about gowned formals but it would be nice if formals were pretty regular? Also it would be nice to know the reputation of these colleges. Please help!

Thanks!!

Hi there!

From what I've seen, Cuths's self-catered block (Parson's Field) is pretty but small. I don't reckon they have any events there, they would mostly be on the actual college site which is on the bailey (just 7-10 mins from Parson's Field). Sometimes this can result in you not wanting to walk that distance to attend an event, but that will really depend on your choice.

In terms of South and John Snow, I don't think it really matters which one you go to because they're both pretty similar. They share some facilities like the Hub, both are newly built so have new facilities. I think formals are a weekly occurrence at South at least, but that varies according to changes in circumstances. You can email or call South at [email protected]/ +44 (0)191 334 0999 and confirm the details. South has either standard ensuite flats where the kitchen and social space are shared between 6 people. Townhouses have 12 rooms, have a bigger kitchen and each bathroom is shared between 2 people.

What you could look at are the societies both of them have. You can find South's societies here. For John Snow, here. They will also have different financial support available and you can find that info on the links I've shared with you. There's no comparison in terms of reputation of individual colleges IMO, but everyone loves their college wherever they end up going.

Hope that helps :wink:

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest