The Student Room Group

When do you stop crying over a breakup?

It's been just over two weeks since I broke up with my boyfriend and I can't stop crying. I want to know when the pain will stop. He's the only thing on my mind I just feel so helpless, I can't get anything done.
Pft. I never cry over a break up.

Jokes aside- sorry you're going through this! Just allow yourself time to mourn over a part of your life that has now ended. You'll eventually come to terms with it and then look back and think why was I crying over such a small blip in my life?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by LawApplicant03
Pft. I never cry over a break up.

Jokes aside- sorry you're going through this! Just allow yourself time to mourn over a part of your life that has now ended. You'll eventually come to terms with it and then look back and think why was I crying over such a small blip in my life?

5 years of my life to mourn over though, not exactly a small blip.
Original post by Anonymous
5 years of my life to mourn over though, not exactly a small blip.

How have you been coping? Have you just been in your bedroom ever since you broke up?
A lot of the time yeah. But I have been going to work, seeing my friends and attempting to study (which isn't happening).
Even if it doesn't seem like it right now, I promise you that the pain will stop <3 I've had two breakups after serious relationships and I know that the first few weeks feel so endless and like there's no way out, but you really do have to take it day by day and focus on the small positives (like I cried slightly less today than yesterday, I laughed at something etc.).
There's no definitive time period after which you'll just stop crying - I only cried daily for a week or so but still occasionally get emotional about the breakup nearly 2 years later (despite being in a new relationship and not wanting in any way to be back with my ex). On the other hand, I have friends who cried for months (like crying daily for several months...) but are now completely over the relationship and can't understand why they were so upset about it.
If you have close friends/family you can talk to, try and share with them - it takes a lot of weight off and they might be able to distract you.

Breakups suck so bad but it really will get better
Even if it doesn't seem like it right now, I promise you that the pain will stop <3 I've had two breakups after serious relationships and I know that the first few weeks feel so endless and like there's no way out, but you really do have to take it day by day and focus on the small positives (like I cried slightly less today than yesterday, I laughed at something etc.).
There's no definitive time period after which you'll just stop crying - I only cried daily for a week or so but still occasionally get emotional about the breakup nearly 2 years later (despite being in a new relationship and not wanting in any way to be back with my ex). On the other hand, I have friends who cried for months (like crying daily for several months...) but are now completely over the relationship and can't understand why they were so upset about it.
If you have close friends/family you can talk to, try and share with them - it takes a lot of weight off and they might be able to distract you.

Breakups suck so bad but it really will get better

I just don't understand how we can go from talking everyday to not at all, that's the bit that pains me the most. And literally everything reminds me of him it's just so hard.

It's hard to talk to my family & friends about it when they're all in happy relationships and I just feel like I'm pestering them all the time. Plus I'm not exactly a joy to be around currently as I will just sit & cry.
Sorry you are feeling upset. Learn to harden your heart and tell yourself that you are all you need to thrive and succeed. This way you will be focused on your goals, your career etc and when you meet someone they will be a complement to your life rather than your everything :smile:
There is no way to predict when someone will recover from a breakup. It all depends on how you heal as a person and deal with it. Breakups are difficult, but there are some steps you can take to move on and stop crying about your ex. Hide any reminders of your ex, such as photographs and gifts they gave you, so they don't evoke negative emotions. Block or unfollow them on social media so that their posts do not appear in your feeds. Others express a great deal of emotion, look at pictures, talk about how they're feeling, and simply feel as a coping mechanism.
I just don't understand how we can go from talking everyday to not at all, that's the bit that pains me the most. And literally everything reminds me of him it's just so hard.

It's hard to talk to my family & friends about it when they're all in happy relationships and I just feel like I'm pestering them all the time. Plus I'm not exactly a joy to be around currently as I will just sit & cry.

I feel you 100%, I am a male and have broken up with my girlfriend of nearly 3 years. Even after almost 8 months, I am struggling.

What I can suggest you do is keep busy with anything you can. I know this might sound vague, but it really does help long-term. For the first few months of the break up I didn't keep myself very busy and it ended up eating me inside with the thoughts.
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous #1

How are you now? I'm the same, I just can't stop crying so much it feels bottmless
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous #1
It's been just over two weeks since I broke up with my boyfriend and I can't stop crying. I want to know when the pain will stop. He's the only thing on my mind I just feel so helpless, I can't get anything done.

Everything will be alright soon❤️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending