The Student Room Group

I really want to do English lit and linguistics at uni but not many unis offer it

As the title says.

I’m not sure what to do.

I was thinking maybe doing English lit and language as a compromise, but I’m not fully sold on it yet.

I’m pretty sure I want to go on to teach secondary English, if I’m not that interested in any other jobs by the time I finish the degree. But, I don’t think I’d be able to get onto a PGCE secondary English course with a linguistics degree.
You're only going to be studying at one university - why does it matter how many others offer it?

You don't need to apply for the same course at all your choices, and for a course which almost nowhere offers, universities will be completely used to people applying for other courses elsewhere. (Or, indeed, other courses at the same university.)
Original post by skylark2
You're only going to be studying at one university - why does it matter how many others offer it?

You don't need to apply for the same course at all your choices, and for a course which almost nowhere offers, universities will be completely used to people applying for other courses elsewhere. (Or, indeed, other courses at the same university.)

I’m only thinking of that because I might not get into one of them, so I’d need a fallback option. Plus, it means there’s not much choice as to where I could go.
Original post by bowlingforsoph
I’m only thinking of that because I might not get into one of them, so I’d need a fallback option. Plus, it means there’s not much choice as to where I could go.

There's more choice than if you discount it as an option, though.

It's really common for people to not apply to exactly the same course everywhere. I mean, it's difficult to write a sensible PS if you're trying to apply to maths at one university, history at a second, and art at a third, but that's not what you're looking at doing. If you end up applying to the three (or however many there are) suitable Eng Lit + linguistics courses which exist, and two Eng Lit + language courses as a backup, you won't be unusual at all. Don't throw away your preferred choice just because your UCAS form can't have five identical course codes on it.

Also take a look at some straight Eng Lit courses and those Eng Lit + lang courses - do they have optional linguistics modules? Just because it isn't in the name doesn't mean it isn't in the course...
Original post by skylark2
There's more choice than if you discount it as an option, though.

It's really common for people to not apply to exactly the same course everywhere. I mean, it's difficult to write a sensible PS if you're trying to apply to maths at one university, history at a second, and art at a third, but that's not what you're looking at doing. If you end up applying to the three (or however many there are) suitable Eng Lit + linguistics courses which exist, and two Eng Lit + language courses as a backup, you won't be unusual at all. Don't throw away your preferred choice just because your UCAS form can't have five identical course codes on it.

Also take a look at some straight Eng Lit courses and those Eng Lit + lang courses - do they have optional linguistics modules? Just because it isn't in the name doesn't mean it isn't in the course...

From what I’ve seen, many do have linguistics modules, which is why I’m not completely ruling out lang and lit. That being said, the modules seem fairly limited and/or a bit general.
I think that there are quite a few decent unis which offer this. I've applied to study English Literature and English Language and Linguistics at Kent, but I know that there are many other unis which offer English Literature and Linguistics such as Queen Mary (London), Birbeck (London), Aberdeen, Glasgow, Manchester Met, York, so you have varied options.

I would also recommend that you pay close attention to courses under just 'English' as many incorporate linguistics modules and give you the freedom to tailor your degree in that direction. English Language and Literature courses usually contain many elements of linguistics so look out for that too.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by JessieXav
Queen Mary (London), Birbeck (London), Aberdeen, Glasgow, Manchester Met, York, so you have varied options.

I would also recommend that you pay close attention to courses under just 'English' as many incorporate linguistics modules and give you the freedom to tailor your degree in that direction. English Language and Literature courses usually contain many elements of linguistics so look out for that too.

I have heard that the University of Aberdeen is usually the best or top 5 for linguistics. Amongst Oxbridge, UCL, and Warwick I can also imagine that it'd be the easiest to enter Aberdeen of the 5, though not by much.

Quick Reply

Latest