The Student Room Group

Is there any way for me to go the GP without my mum knowing?

Hi!! I'm wondering if there's any way I could go the GP without anything I say there going on my medical record or without my mum finding out. I've got some concerns about my health and I want to know if there's anything I can do to fix it, but I don't want my mum to worry. I have a sister that's been quite sick for the past 18 months and I just don't want to stress her out if it's nothing or if it's not fixable. Is there any way to get around her finding out? I was thinking about just going and asking them to just be discreet about it but that just seems sketchy.
How old are you?

Basically if you are over 16 then you can go to the doctor by yourself, consent to your own treatment, no issues. If you're under 16, then it's a bit more complicated but you may well still be able to.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/consent-to-treatment/children/
Original post by skylark2
How old are you?

Basically if you are over 16 then you can go to the doctor by yourself, consent to your own treatment, no issues. If you're under 16, then it's a bit more complicated but you may well still be able to.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/consent-to-treatment/children/

I'm 17, I just worry that it'll show up in medical history if she takes me for something else and then she'll freak out. Also I reread my first post and realised that it sounded a bit like I thought I could be pregnant so I just wanted to clarify that that's not the problem lmao
It will go on your medical records but the GP should keep it confidential.
Hi. Personal experience here.
You can go to the GO without parents knowing you've been and speak to doc about treatment. Just mention to receptionist If need to they should understand mine did. I saw gp on own. Providing they feel you understand and have competence enough to maje sensible decision regarding tweatment you can consent. Though you can get general advice and have a chat any age without your parents. Gp nay ask but that's too make sure your okay and just tell them again they should understand and will get it.
Your records are private and no one will access it other than the professionals. Even if you're mum did come with you to a later appt about something else more mum shouldn't find out.
How effectively this is followers our depends on your practice obviously but that's general advice.
The only time I went to the GP on my own because I didn’t want my Mum to know I met my Dad in the waiting room!! The chances of this happening are slight but you might meet a neighbour so prepare a good excuse !
Reply 6
itll go on your record but your mum won't ever be told nor be able to find out as the records are confidential.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi!! I'm wondering if there's any way I could go the GP without anything I say there going on my medical record or without my mum finding out. I've got some concerns about my health and I want to know if there's anything I can do to fix it, but I don't want my mum to worry. I have a sister that's been quite sick for the past 18 months and I just don't want to stress her out if it's nothing or if it's not fixable. Is there any way to get around her finding out? I was thinking about just going and asking them to just be discreet about it but that just seems sketchy.

Hey,
My understanding is that It's largely dependant on your age. If you are over 16 then you can go to the GP and have treatments, prescriptions etc but they do record things on your medical records just for future reference. They should keep it all confidential but it might be worth speaking to the GP to explain why it is so important to you that this is kept confidential.

Hope this helps,

Eleanor
-Student Ambassador
Original post by Anonymous

People aged 16 or over are entitled to consent to their own treatment. This can only be overruled in exceptional circumstances. Like adults, young people (aged 16 or 17) are presumed to have sufficient capacity to decide on their own medical treatment, unless there's significant evidence to suggest otherwise.

Teen health checks on their own.....!
Can I see the GP or nurse on my own?

Did you know that if you want to see a doctor or nurse you don't always have to have your parents with you, or even their permission to come here and be seen?

Different people are ready at different ages to see a doctor or a nurse alone, and legally there is no set age to be seen without your parents. You can come alone or can even bring them along and leave them in the waiting room if you wanted to be seen by the doctor or nurse on your own.

But what if...
I am over 18?

There’s nothing to worry about. Legally you’re an adult now and your parents don’t have to give permission for any type of treatment, nor are they able to discuss your records / conditions with the doctor unless they have your permission. Make sure that you update the surgery if Mum or Dad picks up your prescriptions for you; we need to know that you’ve said it's ok!

I am 16 or 17?

The situation is almost the same as when you are 18. The doctor will just have to make sure that you are ‘competent’ to make decisions about your own treatment. This simply means that you are able to understand the treatment and the effects it might have on you.

I am under 16…?

The law says that you can make your own decisions about having treatment. This includes getting contraception, and also discussing / having an abortion, without your parent’s permission. This will generally be the case if:

You are regarded as ‘competent’ This means that you have to clearly understand the treatment you will be receiving, and also how it will affect you.
Your health will suffer if you don’t receive this treatment, and that the treatment is in your best interests.
So if you are 17 or under, the GP will have a chat with you about the problem, the treatment and will try to make an assessment through this discussion as to whether you are ‘competent’ to make the decision yourself. They will probably ask you why you don’t want your parents or care givers to know, and may suggest talking it through with them first. It is worth remembering however that no doctor can persuade or force you to tell your parents about the treatment that you are having.

Doctors also cannot tell your parents about your treatment (even if you are under 16) if you don’t want them to, apart from in very exceptional circumstances see below for more details. This is called doctor-patient confidentiality, and all doctors and nurses are legal bound by it.

This discussion and decision might sound a bit intimidating or scary but don’t let it put you off, GPs really are concerned about your health and want to make sure that everyone, including teenagers, can come to see their doctor without worrying. Your doctor will almost certainly be very kind and very sympathetic if you would like to see a particular doctor, be it one you know or just specifically a lady or a man, just mention it to the patient coordinator when you book the appointment and it can be arranged.

When did you say they would tell my parents?
As already said, anything you discuss with the GP or nurse; any treatment you’ve had, any results or medicines, stays confidential. This means that the doctors, nurses, patient coordinators on the phones or behind the desk… anyone who works at the practice must not pass on any information about you, or any other patient, to anyone who does not have your permission to hear it.

Even if you are under 16, nothing can be said to anyone - not your parents or anyone in your family, your care workers, tutors or teachers, without your permission unless safeguarding concerns are identified . Even if your Mum and Dad are really friendly with the doctor you saw, outside of work hours. They can't even say that you were in the surgery...

But what if I'm spotted by somebody that knows your parents.....
If you have to visit the surgery and there’s no way around this difficulty… But you could ask one of the patient coordinators if they could find you a discrete area to wait in. Unfortunately, another patient might mention to your parents that they saw you in the waiting room so you should always be prepared for a question or two… Same goes for the chemist, but you could try to time it for when the shop is empty. Like the doctors and nurses, the chemists are legally bound to keep any information about your prescriptions confidential.

The only time a doctor can speak to someone else about you without your permission is when there is a danger that your safety or someone else's safety might be at risk. That doesn't always mean that they tell your parent or carer, but they may want to speak to other people like the police or social services.

A NHS nurse ( midwife).

Quick Reply

Latest