The Student Room Group

What questions could be asked on political parties?

I'm revising the established parties atm (edexcel a level) and I've gone through all the essay plans and notes for questions like "is the conservative party more one nation or new right?"

I can remember my teacher talking last year about questions along the lines of "evaluate the view the conservative party is more united than divided" but I have no clue where to start answering this kind of question. I've spent ages googling and I can find literally no evidence that these kinds of questions could be asked or how to do them.

Does anyone know if we might get asked a question on how united the party are? How should I go about answering them?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :smile:
So I also do a level edexcel but haven’t come across a question like the one you’re describing and I definitely haven’t seen it in a past paper. I know for the 24 marker on ideologies you could be asked to what extent are conservatives united on a certain theme and on the differences between one nation and new right.

For the 30 marker you could get asked a question on the conservative party are but you would be able to speak about more than just one nation and the new right.
My teacher wrote out a list of potential questions which I’ll share
“The Conservative party is now more a liberal party than a right wing party” How far do you agree with this view
Evaluate the idea that the main parties in the UK are effective in performing their functions.
Evaluate the argument that the funding of parties should be reformed.
Evaluate the argument that parties should be state-funded.
Evaluate the extent to which the Conservative party remains true to its traditional values and principles.
Evaluate the extent to which the Labour party remains true to its traditional values and principles.
Evaluate the extent to which the Liberal Democrats remain true to their traditional values and principles.
Evaluate the extent of internal divisions with the current UK political parties.
Evaluate the statement that “all the main parties in the UK are fundamentally liberal parties”
Evaluate the argument that the other parties in the UK pose a threat to the established parties in the UK.
Evaluate the idea the UK has a two party system.
Evaluate the idea that the strength of the party’s leader is the main reason for party success?

I hope these are helpful :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #289
So I also do a level edexcel but haven’t come across a question like the one you’re describing and I definitely haven’t seen it in a past paper. I know for the 24 marker on ideologies you could be asked to what extent are conservatives united on a certain theme and on the differences between one nation and new right.

For the 30 marker you could get asked a question on the conservative party are but you would be able to speak about more than just one nation and the new right.
My teacher wrote out a list of potential questions which I’ll share
“The Conservative party is now more a liberal party than a right wing party” How far do you agree with this view
Evaluate the idea that the main parties in the UK are effective in performing their functions.
Evaluate the argument that the funding of parties should be reformed.
Evaluate the argument that parties should be state-funded.
Evaluate the extent to which the Conservative party remains true to its traditional values and principles.
Evaluate the extent to which the Labour party remains true to its traditional values and principles.
Evaluate the extent to which the Liberal Democrats remain true to their traditional values and principles.
Evaluate the extent of internal divisions with the current UK political parties.
Evaluate the statement that “all the main parties in the UK are fundamentally liberal parties”
Evaluate the argument that the other parties in the UK pose a threat to the established parties in the UK.
Evaluate the idea the UK has a two party system.
Evaluate the idea that the strength of the party’s leader is the main reason for party success?

I hope these are helpful :smile:

Thank you so much! This is so helpful, you're a life saver!
Original post by klangf
Thank you so much! This is so helpful, you're a life saver!

No problem! If you'd like them on any other units then let me know and I can post them :smile: or if you have any questions
Reply 4
No problem! If you'd like them on any other units then let me know and I can post them :smile: or if you have any questions

Thanks!
Reply 5
You should be prepared
Original post by cloes
You should be prepared

Leave people alone. They asked one question and everyone is stressing and cramming for exams- don’t need your comments to make people feel worse. Thanks
Reply 7
Leave people alone. They asked one question and everyone is stressing and cramming for exams- don’t need your comments to make people feel worse. Thanks

Reduce the bile
Reply 8
Original post by cloes
You should be prepared

very ominous...
paha thanks for the advice I guess???? lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending