The Student Room Group

Meta Software Engineering Apprenticeship 2022

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by nyarosu
I've got an offer too! Got some more thinking to do before I take it over an Imperial unconditional but I'm leaning towards it :smile:

Nice! Congrats man, that seems like a really tough decision to make, I have accepted the offer, but I don't think I have any info that you wouldn't have, apart from maybe that the role is mostly going to be in-person rather than remote (benefit or drawback depending if you wanna live in London) and that they do offer a relocation benefit, but to be eligible, you have to currently live 50 miles away from the office.
Original post by hilosync
Nice! Congrats man, that seems like a really tough decision to make, I have accepted the offer, but I don't think I have any info that you wouldn't have, apart from maybe that the role is mostly going to be in-person rather than remote (benefit or drawback depending if you wanna live in London) and that they do offer a relocation benefit, but to be eligible, you have to currently live 50 miles away from the office.

Yeah I think I'm taking this tbh, the experience is really valuable and after the apprenticeship I can part-time a degree if I really want/need it. But I'll think about it a couple more days before I accept, just in case.

Didn't know it was going to be mostly in person, that's honestly really good because atm I work full-time as a developer but literally all my colleagues work from our Edinburgh office, so everything is done remotely, and it's not my favourite tbh, I prefer in-person collaboration as opposed to online meetings. I already live in London but am looking to move a bit closer since I'm a little further than I'd like atm. But I'll sort that out later.
Reply 22
Original post by nyarosu
Yeah I think I'm taking this tbh, the experience is really valuable and after the apprenticeship I can part-time a degree if I really want/need it. But I'll think about it a couple more days before I accept, just in case.

Didn't know it was going to be mostly in person, that's honestly really good because atm I work full-time as a developer but literally all my colleagues work from our Edinburgh office, so everything is done remotely, and it's not my favourite tbh, I prefer in-person collaboration as opposed to online meetings. I already live in London but am looking to move a bit closer since I'm a little further than I'd like atm. But I'll sort that out later.

I don't live in London and honestly, don't really want to so I would defo have preferred it if it were remote, but being able to communicate in person is at least one benefit

Were you thinking of living alone or finding roommates? I am leaning towards a houseshare, either with people on the apprenticeship or just strangers

Also, let me know if you end up finalising your decision!
I don't live in London and honestly, don't really want to so I would defo have preferred it if it were remote, but being able to communicate in person is at least one benefit

Were you thinking of living alone or finding roommates? I am leaning towards a houseshare, either with people on the apprenticeship or just strangers

Also, let me know if you end up finalising your decision!

I'm up for either honestly - there's private student accomodation near the office (one is literally on rathbone place so like a 2 minute walk away) but I'm not sure if they'll take apprentices (I've asked). The pay is more than enough to get a decent flat too so I wouldn't mind living alone. Up for houseshare but would depend on the age of the other apprentices (I'm 18 and will be 19 when starting) and ofc would want to meet them first.

Did your recruiter mention something about getting the apprentices together at the office at some point between the starting date? I think mine did but I forgot. That could be a good chance to explore doing a houseshare.
Reply 24
Original post by nyarosu
I'm up for either honestly - there's private student accomodation near the office (one is literally on rathbone place so like a 2 minute walk away) but I'm not sure if they'll take apprentices (I've asked). The pay is more than enough to get a decent flat too so I wouldn't mind living alone. Up for houseshare but would depend on the age of the other apprentices (I'm 18 and will be 19 when starting) and ofc would want to meet them first.

Did your recruiter mention something about getting the apprentices together at the office at some point between the starting date? I think mine did but I forgot. That could be a good chance to explore doing a houseshare.

Student accommodation would be a good idea if apprentices are allowed. I'll be 22 at the start of the apprenticeship, and from what my recruiter has said, most people joining are in a similar age group.

I don't remember my recruiter mentioning any kind of meetup before the start, but on my careers profile, it mentions gaining access to a workplace(internal communications tool) group for the cohort on the 30th of September, but hopefully, there is some kind of event before that. Have you got the same recruiter as me? I've got Amie
Hey everyone! I've just applied and had no idea this apprenticeship even EXISTED! I have no idea how competitive this apprenticeship is or pretty much anything about it but any information would be great thanks. Also is the salary really £45,000 (Multiverse site), or was this a typo of sorts. And lastly, do you know whether a permanent job position is offered following the completion of the apprenticeship. Thank you so much!
Reply 26
Original post by SULLY_SOG
Hey everyone! I've just applied and had no idea this apprenticeship even EXISTED! I have no idea how competitive this apprenticeship is or pretty much anything about it but any information would be great thanks. Also is the salary really £45,000 (Multiverse site), or was this a typo of sorts. And lastly, do you know whether a permanent job position is offered following the completion of the apprenticeship. Thank you so much!

Hey, good luck with your application, and if I got an offer, then literally anyone can.

I would guess it's fairly competitive given the company and salary. I thought that I had no chance of getting an offer, but applied anyway as I would lose nothing but a little time doing so.

The recruiter I had was very helpful and reassuring, so they should be able to answer any questions you might have directly, the interview prep was also very useful.

To answer your questions, yes, the salary is £45k, the benefits are also really good, as for getting a permanent role at the end of the job, it isn't guaranteed, but you should be offered a place if you are meeting expectations. I was told that everyone from the first cohort (so about 2 yrs ago) got offered a permanent position.
Student accommodation would be a good idea if apprentices are allowed. I'll be 22 at the start of the apprenticeship, and from what my recruiter has said, most people joining are in a similar age group.

I don't remember my recruiter mentioning any kind of meetup before the start, but on my careers profile, it mentions gaining access to a workplace(internal communications tool) group for the cohort on the 30th of September, but hopefully, there is some kind of event before that. Have you got the same recruiter as me? I've got Amie

Ah guess I'm a little younger than most of them then, but that's fine. Yes I do have Amie as well, I'll ask her about meeting the other apprentices tomorrow and will post here what she says!
Original post by SULLY_SOG

I can also confirm it's 45000, frankly insane for an apprentice :0 gl with your application! Someone else who applied says their recruiter says they expanded the intake significantly this year, so I'm sure you've got a good chance (at least compared to previous years)
Reply 29
Original post by chvda
hey i'm thinking of applying too, i'm the same age as you and was wondering what prior coding experience did you have, if any?
How did you prepare for the interview and coding assessments?
Were the interviews hard and do you have any tips on CV and cover letter etc?

Im currently doing a level 4 data apprenticeship with multiverse and want to leave to do software, do you think this is possible ? due to funding and stuff?

thanks in advance ! :smile:

I wouldn't say I had a huge amount of prior coding experience, I had learned python a way back during yr9, and I mainly used it for problems on sites like project Euler or codewars, more recently though I have built a few crappy games in unity, done the CS50x course (really recommend it, it's free), done some really simple scripts in python for work (I work as a QA tester and don't code as part of my work) but they are mostly looking at how passionate you are.

For the coding questions, I did a free data structures and algorithms course online, and then did a bunch of leetcode questions (mostly easy) and practiced doing them within a time limit and while speaking my thoughts out loud. For the competency based interview, it was just finding examples for the most common questions, and forming good answers to them.

To be honest, I didn't find the interviews too difficult, the questions were on the level that I was expecting (easy leetcode) and the interviewers were really nice, so I felt like I could speak freely, however, if you don't have any prior experience with coding interview questions, you might struggle a bit.

As for CV tips, I would say to try and show off your passion for software development, simple is better, and have a good reason for each sentence that you put on there (e.g. to show passion, to show off soft skills, or to show what impact you've made) but I wouldn't worry too much about what your CV contains Also, they don't require a cover letter.

I have no idea if you can switch to a software engineering apprenticeship if you are currently doing a data apprenticeship, you've gotta ask someone at multiverse that, but I would lean towards it being fine (you will have to have a pretty good reason for switching though)
Does a group chat for those with offers and those who are applying sound cool? Something small like in other forums. (Snapchat, WhatsApp) whatever is comfortable 👍
Reply 31
Original post by help_bot2021
Does a group chat for those with offers and those who are applying sound cool? Something small like in other forums. (Snapchat, WhatsApp) whatever is comfortable 👍

i would be down for snapchat
Reply 32
I don't mind making a snapchat or whatsapp group, whichever is more convenient (I would guess whatsapp)
I don't mind making a snapchat or whatsapp group, whichever is more convenient (I would guess whatsapp)

That would be awesome. My snap is sullysog.
Reply 34
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi might be a bit late but are the applications closed?
Reply 36
Hi, I applied to swe apprenticeship through Meta careers back in April (so it's been over a month now) and haven't heard anything back yet. Would that mean that I got dropped off? congrats to those who got offer already :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 37
Hey, I would try to send an email to confirm, but unfortunately it's quite likely that you have been unsuccessful.
Reply 38
Hey, I would try to send an email to confirm, but unfortunately it's quite likely that you have been unsuccessful.

Sure, I'll try. Is there a specific email address which deals with this apprenticeship?
Reply 39
Original post by Martpg
Sure, I'll try. Is there a specific email address which deals with this apprenticeship?

I'm not sure there is, you might just have to use whatever generic careers email is on the Meta website.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending