The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Imperviousness
Curious to see people's opinions.

No, unless you went to Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge. That's the only exception.

Employers don't give a crap to which uni you went to and a lot of the time they also don't care about the degree discipline or degree classification. The only thing that employers care about is your transferrable skills, your personality and attitude and your ability to do the job. Someone from a Russell Group uni can make just as competitive of an application as someone who studied at London Met. What matters is what you get out of your degree rather than the uni and the rankings themselves.

University is only beneficial if you actually are interested doing further research into your field and want to write books and academic papers. Masters and PhD degrees are pretty much useless for employment as well.
Original post by hungrysalamander
The addition of the verb "discuss" in your title makes you sound like @concernedLMAO

Makes me sound concerned or similar to another user?
Original post by username5952533
No, unless you went to Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge. That's the only exception.

Employers don't give a crap to which uni you went to and a lot of the time they also don't care about the degree discipline or degree classification. The only thing that employers care about is your transferrable skills, your personality and attitude and your ability to do the job. Someone from a Russell Group uni can make just as competitive of an application as someone who studied at London Met. What matters is what you get out of your degree rather than the uni and the rankings themselves.

University is only beneficial if you actually are interested doing further research into your field and want to write books and academic papers. Masters and PhD degrees are pretty much useless for employment as well.

I agree. Some would argue that it matters highly in certain careers: banking, business, law.
I think it’s dependent on the profession. If you have a passion for maths, and want to become a maths teacher, your degree will not matter. You get a maths degree, you get your teaching masters, you apply to teach at schools and get in. Maybe a very few select schools won’t accept you, but the rest will. In that scenario, you really aren’t different to the guy who did Maths at Oxbridge (think Arran Fernandez who is a teacher atm).

However, banking is different. It is pretty known that Ib firms don’t even care about the degree, but care about the uni more. In this case, I would argue that going to say Oxford for something less ‘useful’ (sorry i dont mean it like that) such as Classics would be better than doing Economics at a low tier uni.

Having said that, going to a better uni will open up more doors, so best to try get in. The oxbridge grad can become an IB or teacher, the MET grad will find it very hard to be the IB
Original post by crashcody
I think it’s dependent on the profession. If you have a passion for maths, and want to become a maths teacher, your degree will not matter. You get a maths degree, you get your teaching masters, you apply to teach at schools and get in. Maybe a very few select schools won’t accept you, but the rest will. In that scenario, you really aren’t different to the guy who did Maths at Oxbridge (think Arran Fernandez who is a teacher atm).

However, banking is different. It is pretty known that Ib firms don’t even care about the degree, but care about the uni more. In this case, I would argue that going to say Oxford for something less ‘useful’ (sorry i dont mean it like that) such as Classics would be better than doing Economics at a low tier uni.

Having said that, going to a better uni will open up more doors, so best to try get in. The oxbridge grad can become an IB or teacher, the MET grad will find it very hard to be the IB

Hm. What would you constitute as a "better uni" apart from oxbridge?
Makes me sound concerned or similar to another user?

another user who is no longer here
Original post by hungrysalamander
another user who is no longer here

Ah. Must be pretty cool if they were compared to me.
The doors that way.
Depends on the person, and the reputation of the ranking. The only ones I respect are QS and THES. The UK league tables lost their way ever since student satisfaction came on board. I suspect this was done to help sell more newspapers by allowing students to influence the ranking of their university. It would have been more logical to have the student satisfaction score as being independent of these tables.
Probably not. After you start working, I doubt people would rank you by, "Oh, you went to Oxford or Warwick." They'd rely on how well you work as opposed to where you studied before working.
Original post by gtty123
Probably not. After you start working, I doubt people would rank you by, "Oh, you went to Oxford or Warwick." They'd rely on how well you work as opposed to where you studied before working.

There is some snobbery out there in elite professions and in academia, but as long as you are successful then it shouldn't matter to you as to where you go. I came across snobbery even though I was on the same MSc course as the person dishing it out!
Original post by StarLinyx
There is some snobbery out there in elite professions and in academia, but as long as you are successful then it shouldn't matter to you as to where you go. I came across snobbery even though I was on the same MSc course as the person dishing it out!

Yeah, of course - there will always, sadly, be this kind of behaviour.

Out of curiosity - could you expand on what you had experienced and what course it was for?
Original post by gtty123
Yeah, of course - there will always, sadly, be this kind of behaviour.

Out of curiosity - could you expand on what you had experienced and what course it was for?

It was at UCL - the person involved was a medic doing their intercalated year there, although they were from another uni initially. They looked down on me just because I wasn't doing Medicine. The individual in question could have been removed from the course due to their troublesome behaviour throughout the year.
It was at UCL - the person involved was a medic doing their intercalated year there, although they were from another uni initially. They looked down on me just because I wasn't doing Medicine. The individual in question could have been removed from the course due to their troublesome behaviour throughout the year.

That's awful. I genuinely don't understand people like that.
Original post by gtty123
That's awful. I genuinely don't understand people like that.

Narcissistic people. Thankfully it was just one individual.
It doesn’t matter really, most employers care about experience
Narcissistic people. Thankfully it was just one individual.

I think that everyone at uni is a little bit narcissistic, selfish and egotistical, especially from higher ranked universities. I met some rude PhD students at my university who think that they're above everyone just because they're PhD students and I've generally met a lot of people who can't be happy for others and always want to put other people down. It's because there's so much competition that we are not supportive towards one another and we always feel like we need to be better than everyone else and we always feel that our grades on a piece of paper define us as people. So it's not uncommon to meet these types of people and I think it makes sense.
Hm. What would you constitute as a "better uni" apart from oxbridge?

Tier 1 - Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Warwick
Tier 2 - Manchester, Durham, Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Kings, St. Andrews
Tier 3 - Rest of russel group
Tier 4 - Others
Original post by crashcody
Tier 1 - Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Warwick
Tier 2 - Manchester, Durham, Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Kings, St. Andrews
Tier 3 - Rest of russel group
Tier 4 - Others

I think:

Tier 1 - Oxbridge, Imperial/LSE
Tier 2 - UCL, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Manchester