Exeter University - what is it like ?

Watch this thread
hemdinho
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi there, I plan on going to the University of Exeter to do a masters in Sept 2023. At the moment I plan on studying Politics and International Relations in the middle east.
I would just like to ask is Exeter a diverse university in terms of ethnic people and what three points would say that make Exeter worth going to?
tw559
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hemdinho)
hi there, I plan on going to the University of Exeter to do a masters in Sept 2023. At the moment I plan on studying Politics and International Relations in the middle east.
I would just like to ask is Exeter a diverse university in terms of ethnic people and what three points would say that make Exeter worth going to?
Being in the southwest, Exeter isn’t particularly diverse; a large portion of the student bosh are white and middle class. That said, Exeter does have a not insignificant international student population.
As for 3 things that make Exeter worth going to,
1.) The Campus. Streatham campus is a beautiful campus, also being a botanical garden. It’s really enjoyable to just walk around and find places to sit and relax on the campus grounds, and there are occasionally deer to be spotted.
2.) The city. This is a negative for some people, but I enjoy that Exeter isn’t too large. It means that you can walk everywhere, and it’s fairly easy to navigate, while also still having everything you need in a city.
3.) Societies. Some of the societies I’ve joined at Exeter have really made my time there, and formed the foundation for making my time at Exeter as great as it’s been.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
hemdinho
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by tw559)
Being in the southwest, Exeter isn’t particularly diverse; a large portion of the student bosh are white and middle class. That said, Exeter does have a not insignificant international student population.
As for 3 things that make Exeter worth going to,
1.) The Campus. Streatham campus is a beautiful campus, also being a botanical garden. It’s really enjoyable to just walk around and find places to sit and relax on the campus grounds, and there are occasionally deer to be spotted.
2.) The city. This is a negative for some people, but I enjoy that Exeter isn’t too large. It means that you can walk everywhere, and it’s fairly easy to navigate, while also still having everything you need in a city.
3.) Societies. Some of the societies I’ve joined at Exeter have really made my time there, and formed the foundation for making my time at Exeter as great as it’s been.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
Thank you for your response. Very informative. Much appreciated.
ExeterStudentRep
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hemdinho)
Hello,

It is great to hear that you are considering to pursue a masters programme with us at the University of Exeter. I am Coral, a student ambassador for the university but also an international student. I found that Exeter University was a very welcoming environment and that there were societies specifically for international students such as the African - Caribbean society (I am from Kenya). I would also say that I made friends from a broad range of ethnic backgrounds whilst I was at university. So I cannot say how Exeter compares to other universities but I can say that I made friends from a wide range of ethnic backgrounds without even realising. Exeter commits to supporting you beyond just your time at university via the careerzone which you have access to even after you have graduated from the university. The career zone has a wide range of useful information and workshops including; CV writing, interview hints tips and tricks, part time and full time graduate job adverts, amongst other invaluable information. Secondly, there are over 300 sports clubs and guild societies to choose from so there really is something for everyone and if there isn't then you can start one (provided there is enough interest). Thirdly, Exeter is the perfect blend of city and country life. dartmoor national park is about and hour - two hours car drive depending on where you would be going. Meanwhile Exmouth and Dawlish are less than half and hour on the train to get there (1 hour to cycle on the purpose built cycle path)
I hope this helps to answer some of your questions, please don't hesitate to ask any more you may have and I will do my best to answer them.

Coral, Exeter Student Ambassador.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads