The Student Room Group
University of York
York

How likely am I to get one of my top accommodation choices? University of York

I applied for accommodation yesterday (30th April) and accommodation applications opened on 31st January (so 3 months ago!). I couldn't apply earlier as I was waiting on an offer from Bath but I didn't get one so I have firmed York. I've applied to Alcuin, Halifax, Anne Lister, Goodricke, Langwith and Constantine (in that order).

So I guess my questions are:

1. How likely do you think I am to get at least one that I've applied to? Of course ideally I'd want one of my top 3 but I'd be happy in any of my choices.

2. Do you know anyone who got put into catered accommodation when they only applied to self-catered? I really want self-catered more than anything.

3. Do you know anyone who got put into an accommodation that they didn't apply to?

4. Do you know anyone who got put into an accommodation that was more expensive than the ones they applied to?
Reply 1
Hi!
I'm planning on studying at York in September too. I applied to my accommodation a week after it opened and when I visited on the applicant day, I talked to student who said she had applied around the same time as I had and she'd ended up with her second choice. Although, I've also seen some videos from York students on YouTube, who said they applied quite late and still got the accommodation they wanted, so I'm not entirely sure haha.
Ive applied to David Kato as my top two and Anne Lister as my third, but I suppose we'll just have to wait until results day to find out.
University of York
York
Ahhh ok so it could go any way basically 😂 I put Alcuin as my 1st and 2nd and Halifax as my 3rd.
If out of seven accommodation choices, you only put two or three colleges, are you guaranteed to be in one of those colleges? Or are you allocated randomly if none are available? (Not sure if that makes sense, sorry.)
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Ahhh ok so it could go any way basically 😂 I put Alcuin as my 1st and 2nd and Halifax as my 3rd.

Halfax is my 4th choice
Im happy with any accomation really, I'm just hoping I get an en suit.
What are you planning on studying?
Reply 5
If out of seven accommodation choices, you only put two or three colleges, are you guaranteed to be in one of those colleges? Or are you allocated randomly if none are available? (Not sure if that makes sense, sorry.)

I'm not honestly sure, but you would like to think that you would get one of your seven choices?
Original post by Libby.S
Halfax is my 4th choice
Im happy with any accomation really, I'm just hoping I get an en suit.
What are you planning on studying?

Yeah I'd be fine with any pretty much. I just want self-catered. I'm planning on studying Psychology. What about you? :smile:
Original post by Libby.S
I'm not honestly sure, but you would like to think that you would get one of your seven choices?

I hope I will, but I'm applying pretty late (I think) so I'm worried that a lot of accommodation will be spoken for already.
Reply 8
Yeah I'd be fine with any pretty much. I just want self-catered. I'm planning on studying Psychology. What about you? :smile:

Yeah me too, I would prefer self-catered but I think you get one weekly college meal included in the campus east accommodation.
I'm planning on studying politics with international relations :smile:
Reply 9
I hope I will, but I'm applying pretty late (I think) so I'm worried that a lot of accommodation will be spoken for already.

I wouldn't worry honestly because when I went to the applicant day around a month ago, no one I'd spoken to had applied for accommodation or firmed yet either. What accommodation is your top choice?
Original post by Libby.S
I wouldn't worry honestly because when I went to the applicant day around a month ago, no one I'd spoken to had applied for accommodation or firmed yet either. What accommodation is your top choice?

I'm not sure. I like Vanbrugh but it's only catered, and I'm definitely going to self-cater. Maybe Alcuin, since it's near my department and supposed to be pretty quiet (noise bothers me when studying so quiet is a plus, personally). I wasn't sure about walking between west and east campus at night if studying late, so my choices will all be on west campus anyway. How about you?
I'm not sure. I like Vanbrugh but it's only catered, and I'm definitely going to self-cater. Maybe Alcuin, since it's near my department and supposed to be pretty quiet (noise bothers me when studying so quiet is a plus, personally). I wasn't sure about walking between west and east campus at night if studying late, so my choices will all be on west campus anyway. How about you?

Ive applied to David Kato as my top two then Anne Lister as my third.
Don't worry about walking between the campuses as there is a free buss that runs between the two regularly but I suppose its a bonus for your accommodation to be near your department
What are you planning on studying? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending