King's English Language

Watch this thread
AnotherStudent!
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm looking to apply to King's for CompSci, but there's a English Lang requirement of a Grade 6. I got a Grade 5, is there anything I can do to get in?

If I realised sooner, I would've resat my GCSE.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by AnotherStudent!)
I'm looking to apply to King's for CompSci, but there's a English Lang requirement of a Grade 6. I got a Grade 5, is there anything I can do to get in?

If I realised sooner, I would've resat my GCSE.
Assuming you're applying for entry next year, you still have time to resit your GCSE.
AnotherStudent!
Rep:
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Assuming you're applying for entry next year, you still have time to resit your GCSE.
I know this is probably my only option, but I don't want to risk compromising my A-Level grades when resitting it honestly.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Retake it, or apply somewhere else.

Not the meeting the GCSE requirements is the quickest way to get an immediate rejection from any Uni.
AnotherStudent!
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
Retake it, or apply somewhere else.

Not the meeting the GCSE requirements is the quickest way to get an immediate rejection from any Uni.
Ah, fair enough. I thought it might've been slightly flexible.
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Ah, fair enough. I thought it might've been slightly flexible.
No, GCSE requirements are normally "hard" requirements that unis are not at all flexible over. If they say it needs GCSE English language grade 6, then applying without it, as above, a surefire way to waste a choice and get an automatic rejection.

That said there are better unis for CS that require a lower GCSE English grade (e.g. Warwick, Southampton, Edinburgh). KCL is a bit average for CS really, the only thing it has going for it is the London location if that's important for you (in which case UCL also has a lower English language requirement and is better for the subject, although probably not as good as the three indicated above).

So might be a blessing in disguise really to let you focus on better courses elsewhere
Last edited by artful_lounger; 2 months ago
AnotherStudent!
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
No, GCSE requirements are normally "hard" requirements that unis are not at all flexible over. If they say it needs GCSE English language grade 6, then applying without it, as above, a surefire way to waste a choice and get an automatic rejection.

That said there are better unis for CS that require a lower GCSE English grade (e.g. Warwick, Southampton, Edinburgh). KCL is a bit average for CS really, the only thing it has going for it is the London location if that's important for you (in which case UCL also has a lower English language requirement and is better for the subject, although probably not as good as the three indicated above).

So might be a blessing in disguise really to let you focus on better courses elsewhere
Thanks a lot, I think part of it was the "London attraction" but you make a good point about UCL, I'll probably apply there. Soton was also at the top of my list, and I'll definitely look at Warwick and Edinburgh. Thanks for the advice!
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Thanks a lot, I think part of it was the "London attraction" but you make a good point about UCL, I'll probably apply there. Soton was also at the top of my list, and I'll definitely look at Warwick and Edinburgh. Thanks for the advice!
I seem to recall students using IELTS instead last year as they couldnt resit. Check up with Kings. Most subjects were under Band B

Band B
Which programmes?
This band applies to the following faculties:

Faculty of Arts & Humanities
Faculty of Social Science & Public Policy
Florence Nightingale Faculty of Nursing, Midwifery & Palliative Care (excluding Nursing Studies for qualified healthcare professionals BSc)
Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience
King's Business School
Medicine/Dentistry (excluding Dental Therapy & Hygiene BSc and Dentistry Entry Programme for Medical Graduates BDS)
Study Abroad (Incoming)
The Dickson Poon School of Law
The following programmes:

Nutritional Sciences BSc
Physiotherapy BSc
Pharmacy MPharm
Please read all of the below information carefully as there are a wide range of English language tests we can accept to meet our English language requirements.

If a test you have completed is not listed below, unfortunately we are unable to accept it as meeting our English language requirements.

If you require a Student visa to study in the UK, we are able to accept any of the tests/qualifications from sections 1 to 4.

If you do not require a Student visa to study in the UK, we are able to accept any of the tests/qualifications from sections 1 to 5.

Section 1 - English language proficiency tests
Note: The tests listed below are valid if they have been taken within two years before the start date of your chosen programme of study. All elements of the test results must be demonstrated in one test. We cannot take a combination of your scores across two tests. The start date for the purposes of English language requirements is the 1st day of the month in which your programme commences i.e. if your programme starts in September, the test must be within two years of 1st September.

Cambridge Advanced Certificate (CAE) / Cambridge C1 Advanced

185 overall with a minimum of 176 in each skill

Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) / Cambridge C2 Proficiency

185 overall with a minimum of 176 in each skill

IELTS (Academic)

7.0 overall with a minimum of 6.5 in each skill

IELTS (Online)

IELTS Indicator (taken from 1 July 2020 onwards) – not accepted for 2023/24 entry

Results should be sent via the IELTS Indicator dashboard to King's College London - Undergraduate Admissions. Please notify us through King's Apply stating your Score ID and test date once this has been done.

Pearson Test of English (Academic)

69 overall with a minimum of 62 in each communicative skill

Pearson Academic Online

69 overall with a minimum of 62 in each communicative skill

TOEFL iBT Institution code: 0394 OR TOEFL iBT Home Edition OR TOEFL iBT Paper Edition

Please note that we do not accept the TOEFL Paper-delivered Test

100 overall with a minimum of 25 in writing and 23 in each of the other skills. All TOEFL test results must be provided via King’s Apply.  

Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English (ISE)

Level III (ISEIII) with merit in each skill

Section 2 - King's Foundations
King's Foundations offers programmes to help students reach the language and skills level required for entry onto our undergraduate programmes.

King's International Foundation

Pass programme with B+ in English module*

*Applicants to Dentistry, Medicine and Law require grade A to meet the English requirement.

Apply to the International Foundation

King's Pre-Sessional English Language Programme

Pass with Band 7

Apply to King's Pre-Sessional English Language courses

Section 3 - A-level, AS-level, International Baccalaureate and GCSE/IGCSE
Note: The tests listed below are valid if they have been taken within five years before the start date of your chosen programme of study. The start date for the purposes of English language requirements is the 1st day of the month in which your programme commences i.e. if your programme starts in September, the qualification must be within five years of 1st September.

Please note: all IGCSE English qualifications requiring Speaking and/or Listening must have this separately endorsed on their Candidate Statement of Results and/or certificate. Evidence must be provided with your application - please send a scan of your IGCSE certificate and Statement of Results via King’s Apply after you have submitted an application.

We accept all GCSE English Language specifications that are currently available in the UK.

GCE A-level / AS-level English Language or English Language & Literature

Grade C

International Baccalaureate Diploma English A (English Language/Literature/Language & Literature)

Higher Level 4

Standard Level 5

International Baccalaureate Diploma English B (English Language)

Higher Level 5

Standard Level 7

GCSE English Language

Grade B or 6

IGCSE English First Language CIE/CAIE (Specification 0522)

Grade B

IGCSE English First Language CIE/CAIE(Specification 0500)

Grade B plus Speaking and Listening at grade 2

IGCSE English First Language CIE/CAIE(Specification 0990)

Grade 6 plus Speaking and Listening at grade 2

IGCSE English Second Language CIE/CAIE(Specification 0511)

Grade A

IGCSE English Second Language CIE/CAIE(Specification 0510)

Grade A plus Speaking and Listening at grade 2

IGCSE English Second Language CIE/CAIE (Specification 0991)

Grade 7 with Speaking and Listening at 2

IGCSE English Second Language CIE/CAIE (Specification 0993)

Grade 7 with Speaking and Listening at 2

IGCSE English Language A Pearson/Edexcel (Specification 4EA0/4EA1 Pre-2018)

Grade B in Route two
(exam and coursework - Route one is exam based only)

IGCSE English Language A Pearson/Edexcel (Specification 4EA1 Post-2018)

Grade 6 including spoken endorsement

IGCSE English Second Language Pearson/Edexcel (Specification 4ES1)

Grade 7 including spoken endorsement

Oxford AQA IGCSE English Language (Specification 9270)

Grade 6 including Speaking and Listening endorsed at Merit

Oxford AQA IGCSE English as a Second Language (Specification 9280)

Grade 7

Section 4 - International school level English language qualifications
Note: The tests listed below are valid if they have been taken within five years before the start date of your chosen programme of study. The start date for the purposes of English language requirements is the 1st day of the month in which your programme commences i.e. if your programme starts in September, the qualification must be within five years of 1st September.

If you have already completed the qualification, please send a scan of your certificate via King’s Apply after you have submitted an application.

Brunei O level taken with Cambridge International Exams (Specification 1120)

Pass at grade B

Mauritius O levels taken with Cambridge International Exams (Specification 1125/1126)

Pass at grade B

Singapore O-Level (SINO) taken with CIE English Language

Pass at grade B4

Singapore Integrated Programme (section 4) English Language / Language Arts

Pass at grade B

If you do not require a Student visa to study in the UK, we are additionally able to accept any of the qualifications from section 5.

Section 5 - European English language qualifications
Note: The tests listed below are valid if they have been taken within five years before the start date of your chosen programme of study for applicants who do not require a Student visa. The start date for the purposes of English language requirements is the 1st day of the month in which your programme commences i.e. if your programme starts in September, the qualification must be within five years of 1st September.

If you have already completed the qualification, please send a scan of your certificate via King’s Apply after you have submitted an application.

If you require a Student visa to study in the UK and are completing one of the following qualifications, you will have to obtain an additional English language test/qualification from those listed in sections 1 to 4.

European Baccalaureate

Pass English L1 at 70%; English L2 at 80%

Austria Reifeprüfungszeugnis

Pass English at 2 (gut) in both written and oral

Belgium Diploma van Secundair/ Certificate d'Enseignement Secondaire Superieur

Pass English at 80% / 16 out of 20 / grote onderscheiding /avec grande distinction

Denmark Studentereksamen (STX) / Højere Forberedelseseksamen (HF) / Højere Teknisk Eksamen (HTX) / Højere Handelseksamen (HHX)

Pass English (A or B) at grade 7

Finland Ylioppilastutkintotodistus

Pass English at 5 (M) magna *** laude approbatur

France Option Internationale du Baccalauréat (British English or American English)

Pass English at 12

France Baccalauréat

Pass English at 13 where English is the first foreign language (LV1/LVA)

German Abitur

Pass English at 12 or Gut when taken as a Hauptfach / Leistungskurs / Kurs mit erhöhtem Anforderungsniveau

Applicants completing the Abitur in Baden-Württemberg or Bavaria will need to pass English at 12 in their final year.

Iceland Stúdentspróf (bóknámsbraut)

Pass English at 9 (when taken as a compulsory language)

Luxembourg Diplôme de Fin d'Etudes Secondaires

Pass English at 45 (bien)

Netherlands Voorbereidend Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs (VWO)

Pass English at 8 (goed)

Norway Vitnemål for Videregående Opplæring

Pass English at 4 when taken as a Common Core Subject

Sweden Fullständigt Slutbetyg från Gymnasieskolan

Pass English at grade C (a minimum of 150 credits)

Switzerland Certificat de Maturité / Maturitätszeugnis / Attestato di Maturità

Pass English with 5 (bien/gut/bene)
Last edited by swanseajack1; 2 months ago
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I know this is probably my only option, but I don't want to risk compromising my A-Level grades when resitting it honestly.
It's your decision to make.
AnotherStudent!
Rep:
(Original post by ageshallnot)
It's your decision to make.
Yeah, at the end of the day there's a lot of other universities out there, most of which don't ask for a 6 in English Lang. So I'll probably just go for another Uni and forget about it.
Belleeeparty
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
omg I am literally the same position as you!
English is not my first language and I came here to uk to study but I studied 4 months less at the gcse than others
Any advise plzzz. Can I do IELTS test instead of resitting my English lang?
AnotherStudent!
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Belleeeparty)
omg I am literally the same position as you!
English is not my first language and I came here to uk to study but I studied 4 months less at the gcse than others
Any advise plzzz. Can I do IELTS test instead of resitting my English lang?
Yeah, I think you can do IELTS instead but I've read it's harder than the actual GCSE. I'm just gonna give it a miss because UCL has lower English Lang. requirements, but I do believe you can do the IELTS or a resit if you'd like.
Meli5
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Today i got my c2 cambridge results back. For the reading,use of english, listening and writing I had fairly high grades (185,217,195 and 208 respectively) but then for speaking part I had supposedly less than 162 marks. After some calculations as I got 190 in total ot of 230 i found out I was given 145/230 something bizarre. I have been preparing the c2 exam many years, in addition in a C1 exam I did 1.5 years ago i got 195/210.

I remember that I was paired with a guy that didn't know what he was doing however I did it wonderfully. The examiners were constantly confusing our names as they were a bit odd, so I suspect they swapped our grades.
What do I do now???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (18)
28.13%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (32)
50%
First aid skills (3)
4.69%
Personal safety skills (1)
1.56%
Sign language (8)
12.5%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (1)
1.56%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.56%

Watched Threads