The Student Room Group

References

How do people feel when on job applications, it asks you whether or not you give permission for them to contact your old work place/ employer?
Reply 1
So you don’t feel any worry about what the manager/s might’ve thought of your performance?!
I don't think managers are really allowed to give a bad reference.. They can just decline it.
Original post by likewildfires
I don't think managers are really allowed to give a bad reference.. They can just decline it.

Actually employers can give a bad reference, as long as what they are saying is factually correct.
So for example if you got sacked, got warnings or any other disciplinary action, then they could mention that. Because it would be true and they would have the records to back it up. Same if you did things like not meet targets, had a lot of time off sick, or turned up late a lot- if it's true and they have records to back up what they are saying then they can absolutely mention it. Obviously some employers are wary of giving bad references. In which case they would just not give a reference at all, which can look bad in itself.
There is also a phenomenon that I've heard of, where an employer has a useless employee and when asked they give them a good reference. Basically to help get rid of the hapless employee (if they have a bad reference and they didn't get the new job then the employer would be stuck with them). Obviously that only works if the employee still works for the employer giving the reference. If an employee doesn't work there any more then the employer can be as brutally honest as they want to be.
Original post by Emma:-)
Actually employers can give a bad reference, as long as what they are saying is factually correct.
So for example if you got sacked, got warnings or any other disciplinary action, then they could mention that. Because it would be true and they would have the records to back it up. Same if you did things like not meet targets, had a lot of time off sick, or turned up late a lot- if it's true and they have records to back up what they are saying then they can absolutely mention it. Obviously some employers are wary of giving bad references. In which case they would just not give a reference at all, which can look bad in itself.
There is also a phenomenon that I've heard of, where an employer has a useless employee and when asked they give them a good reference. Basically to help get rid of the hapless employee (if they have a bad reference and they didn't get the new job then the employer would be stuck with them). Obviously that only works if the employee still works for the employer giving the reference. If an employee doesn't work there any more then the employer can be as brutally honest as they want to be.

Oh thanks for clearing that one up! I was always told that managers would never give a bad reference and would just decline it!
Oh thanks for clearing that one up! I was always told that managers would never give a bad reference and would just decline it!

They can (as long as what they are saying is the truth).
But some employers can be wary about doing this. In which case they could either give a neutral or very basic one, or not give one at all.
Obviously they can only say bad stuff that they can actually back up with evidence (warnings, sacked etc etc). If they think you were lazy or rude for example, then they couldn't really mention it as that's their opinion.
Reply 6
The large company I worked for would only confirm dates of employment and I think this is they way industry has moved. The administrative burden of providing more detailed references and the need for them to be fair and factual is just too much for organisations. It up to the recruiter to make their own judgement on capabilities with references more about vetting that employment history has not been fabricated.
Reply 7

Oh yeah true I forgot that. Was still embarrassed though. Anyway thanks for the reminder!
Original post by rwhite4
Oh yeah true I forgot that. Was still embarrassed though. Anyway thanks for the reminder!

If you read my post after the one you quoted- they actually can give bad references. But what they say has to be the truth though.
So if you were a decent employee then you have nothing to worry about.
Reply 9
Ok thanks for clearing that up. My main concern was that if someone refuses to give permission for you/ someone to contact their old employer then it could be hard to prove that person is old enough to be given the job. So that’s why it’s not a good idea to ask someone for permission. Someone would probably feel better not knowing/ being told their old employer has been contacted in the application
Reply 10
Hi, I hope everything is ok- could whoever wrote this message please get in touch with me via whatever contact details you have of mine (if you recognise who I am from outside this) and let me know what you meant by this message (particularly the terms “useless employee” and “brutally honest”. Please don’t send your reply on here. Thanks

Original post by Emma:-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending