How heavy is Classical Civilisation A-level?

Watch this thread
j....
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I think i'll probably take it - i think the content looks pretty fun, but i'm wondering if anyone knows how much time it'll probably take.
i think i'll probably do Bio and maybe maths as my other 2, and Bio is supposedly really heavy, and i'm not sure about maths (i think i find it pretty simple, but again i don't know how heavy it is).
woodwinding2022
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Unless you have prior experience with Classics then I wouldn't recommend. Both people that I know that take it are struggling, however the one who has prior experience with latin/greek/classics not so much.
j....
Rep:
(Original post by woodwinding2022)
Unless you have prior experience with Classics then I wouldn't recommend. Both people that I know that take it are struggling, however the one who has prior experience with latin/greek/classics not so much.
i think i'm very good at english - probably double 9s in the gcses - so i think the analysing should be fine, and i generally get high grades in most stuff. i think i'll probably find the philosophy aspect pretty easy, and the religious part, and i think i'm pretty good at history - i think somewhere 7-9 in the gcse - and i think i do find ancient greece interesting.
but i haven't done any studying on the ancient stuff in the A-level, so i don't have prior experience.
i think i'm fine with a fun challenge, but d'you reckon it'd be too hard?
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you're not too bad at History and English Literature, then you should be fine with it.

You study plays and epic poetry (which are kinda like stories).
Also temples, pottery, statues, and sanctuaries.
Plus some other things like warships and so on.

It's super interesting if you like ancient Greece and Rome.

I did A Level Classical Civilisation without having previously studied it for GCSE. I'm now doing my degree in Classical Studies.
Last edited by PinkMobilePhone; 1 month ago
woodwinding2022
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by j....)
i think i'm very good at english - probably double 9s in the gcses - so i think the analysing should be fine, and i generally get high grades in most stuff. i think i'll probably find the philosophy aspect pretty easy, and the religious part, and i think i'm pretty good at history - i think somewhere 7-9 in the gcse - and i think i do find ancient greece interesting.
but i haven't done any studying on the ancient stuff in the A-level, so i don't have prior experience.
i think i'm fine with a fun challenge, but d'you reckon it'd be too hard?
Sounds like you're well equipped apart from the lack of past Classics experience. I suppose you could take it as a fourth and then choose to drop one without it impacting you too heavily? I took Spanish, Music, English Literature and History for my A-Levels and found out very early on that A-Level Spanish wasn't for me at all, but the position I was in as a student taking 4 A-Levels meant I was able to drop it easily, no problem. So I think you could give it a go but make sure if you don't get along with it, you still have options!
j....
Rep:
(Original post by woodwinding2022)
Sounds like you're well equipped apart from the lack of past Classics experience. I suppose you could take it as a fourth and then choose to drop one without it impacting you too heavily? I took Spanish, Music, English Literature and History for my A-Levels and found out very early on that A-Level Spanish wasn't for me at all, but the position I was in as a student taking 4 A-Levels meant I was able to drop it easily, no problem. So I think you could give it a go but make sure if you don't get along with it, you still have options!
I think it sounds like a good idea, but i emailed my college and they said "if you start 4 you must see all 4 through to the end". i'm not sure if they're just saying that so i don't take up a place in a class someone else wants and then drop out, but surely they'd let me drop out of one if i want?
jessssiee
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
not sure if this is still helpful but im just finishing my classical civilisation a level and 100% recommendi had never done classics before, i got two 9s at english gcse and a 7 in history and classics is a breeze. we did world of the hero, greek theatre, and politics of the late republic. 2/3 of the course (for me) was largely literature based so it came quite easily. politics was only a span of 60 or so years and nowhere near the depth if history a level so that’s not too bad either. my friend and i describe it like a gcse - the content is a breeze and there are structures for essays (unlike english a level for example) so once you know what youre doing you’re good to go.I’m going to study classical archaeology and classical civilisation at UCL in september and would not have thought to do it if i hadn’t done classics at a level. definitely recommend if you think you’ll enjoy it!
S.M.A
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by j....)
I think i'll probably take it - i think the content looks pretty fun, but i'm wondering if anyone knows how much time it'll probably take.
i think i'll probably do Bio and maybe maths as my other 2, and Bio is supposedly really heavy, and i'm not sure about maths (i think i find it pretty simple, but again i don't know how heavy it is).
Personally, I find it my easiest subject and my favourite (I also do Geography and History). Compared to my other 2, CC has the least content and I finished the course in December whilst I finished History 2 weeks ago. I also didn't have any past classics knowledge and it hasn't hindered it for me as you really do start from absolute basics and work your way up. Not sure how it will work with Bio and Maths but as an A-Level I 100% recommend it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (48)
30.97%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (67)
43.23%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (38)
24.52%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.29%

Watched Threads