The Student Room Group

is it possible to start epq over the year 11 summer?

I'm starting year 12 in september but was wondering if it would be a possibility for me to start researching for my EPQ over the summer as its quite long since we finish y11 earlier and im planning on doing 4 essay based subjects (history, politics, french, english lang) next year so getting ahead early would help reduce the workload. I've researched, written and referenced long essays for essay competitions in the past and have ideas of what to do it on so I'm pretty confident I'd be able to do it all independently. But I don't know if my school would be alright with it or how I'd do all of the production log (i think that's its name?) because as far as I'm aware, your EPQ supervisor does parts of it but im not really sure tbh lol
Is it worth me asking my school if it would be possible to do properly or if not should i just try to start researching it informally?
I guess there's no harm in gathering some research and ironing out the general ideas for what you want to do. It might be best to have a quick chat with someone at your school and see what they say
Reply 2
Original post by Squiggles1238
I guess there's no harm in gathering some research and ironing out the general ideas for what you want to do. It might be best to have a quick chat with someone at your school and see what they say

thanks! ill speak to someone at school about it
Reply 3
Your production log is usually dated as you do it and reflects a journey you take involving your supervisor.

However you could certainly save a lot of time by researching a lot of it now in readiness and researching the process of the EPQ and how to reference. You could get a lot of it ready.
Personally, I would not advise starting it over the summer.

Essentially an EPQ is sort of like a project you would do at University. So if for example, you were going to study History then your EPQ would be like an essay you might write at Uni.

I would say that EPQ candidates who complete their EPQ in y13 rather than in y12 are able to produce much better projects. This is because they have been studying A levels for a year and their academic skills have developed a lot over the course of year 12. If you write it in year 13 then you will be able to do a much better job of it in my opinion.
Reply 5
Original post by nedflanders123
Personally, I would not advise starting it over the summer.

Essentially an EPQ is sort of like a project you would do at University. So if for example, you were going to study History then your EPQ would be like an essay you might write at Uni.

I would say that EPQ candidates who complete their EPQ in y13 rather than in y12 are able to produce much better projects. This is because they have been studying A levels for a year and their academic skills have developed a lot over the course of year 12. If you write it in year 13 then you will be able to do a much better job of it in my opinion.

I understand your point, but I feel that in my case, I'd be able to do better if i start research over the summer and write it start of year 12 as doing 4 a levels and an EPQ in year 13 will be incredibly stressful and stretch my time very thinly so the quality of everything would decrease. Also, I've done an essay competition this year (that was mainly targeted at y12 and 13) which I actually (somehow!) won so i think i'd be able to manage the research and writing skills required quite well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending