The Student Room Group

Chronic Procrastination and Lack of Motivation

So I have had this problem for a while but it's affecting my university studies and grades. I tend to leave everything to the last minute like huge essays and I am forced to do an all-nighter and then I tell myself that I won't do it again but yet again I still do it.
I checked up for ADHD at the GP and they said that I have to wait for a whole year so I really am stuck right now. I am scared that if this continues, I'm probably going to get kicked out of uni so I really need help to cope with this extreme proctrastination
This is a problem that so many people struggle with, and no wonder in the times we live in - everything is quick and distracting so people find it hard to focus and complete tasks ahead of time. I used to be JUST like this, for years. It's deffo not a long term plan though! The way I sorted myself out was by making a daily schedule that was easy enough to be inexcusable and I'd always do clear the whole list before I allowed myself to treat myself. For example if I wanted to go out with mates for fun then I'd make sure I'd done my work, exercise, learning etc etc first and I'd use the 'going out with mates' as a reward. It took a few days to lock it in but now it's just part of life. The other thing that really helped is surrounding myself with people that are highly motivated (audiobooks and podcasts work well for this as well as people you know). That way there's an added level of accountability. Hope that helps and good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest