The Student Room Group

Should I live in accommodation or not URGENT

Currently in a dilemma of whether I should live in accom or at home? I hope to study at UCL, for mechanical engineering this year, and live currently 50 mins away from central London. My parents is looking to move out somewhere closer, so commute time reduces to about 20-30 min, however I insisted I want to stay in accom as I feel that will better experience the uni life. However, they’re skeptical of me as it’s expensive and they fear that life will be substantially harder living by myself and fears I’ll fail all my exams(given how intense mech eng workload is). I am trying to explain to them, I need to move out one day and be independent, as staying under my strict parents shed has greatly jinxed my social skills and self sufficiency, thus was barely being able to make friends throughout sixth form and gap year. What do I do?? Should I convince to move out? They don’t believe I am capable enough to live by myself.

Please reply, the deadline to submit accommodation is May 30th.
(edited 1 year ago)
Depends on your personality. I'm an introvert and I've lived in accom since I moved to the city for uni and it did nothing but drive me crazy. I'll be living in studios from now on. If you can handle chaos then yeah, student accom would be ok for you.
Reply 2
Original post by wav3rid3r
Depends on your personality. I'm an introvert and I've lived in accom since I moved to the city for uni and it did nothing but drive me crazy. I'll be living in studios from now on. If you can handle chaos then yeah, student accom would be ok for you.

I am introvert too, but my parents don’t believe that I absolutely don’t have any skill to live a life on my own : (
Original post by Krang44
I am introvert too, but my parents don’t believe that I absolutely don’t have any skill to live a life on my own : (

You could try renting a room in an apartment with one or two other people. That way you have your own space while having others around you, but not too many people where it gets overcrowded.

Quick Reply

Latest