The Student Room Group

why is ipad so popular ?

There is nothing iOS can do that android cant

plus it costs a bomb.

I get it that ipad excels on every CPU benchmark. but still... couldnt help wondering if buying an ipad is an overkill for most people. I am pretty sure most people arent data scientist or machine learning engineer to need it?
True, same goes for the phones and watches
The iPad (Pro) is quite popular cause it's good for art since the pen is good (but expensive as you buy it separately not like Samsung which comes with the tablet)
I think the only difference is their laptops
(edited 1 year ago)
Using iPad OS is way more of an enjoyable experience compared to android counterparts (especially if you're already in the Apple ecosystem). Admittedly, I first regretted buying my iPad, definitely too expensive for me as a student. I realised I was better suited to a regular laptop (apple or windows) for my degree. But, doing more collaborative work recently has made me see value in my purchase. I guess it's whether an iPad suits your work style/daily needs. Otherwise, I do agree with you, there are comparable alternatives out there, especially if you're working with a smaller budget.
Reply 3
iPadOS has better tablet app support than Android and the ecosystem is beneficial for iPhone/Mac users
Original post by HucktheForde
There is nothing iOS can do that android cant

plus it costs a bomb.

I get it that ipad excels on every CPU benchmark. but still... couldnt help wondering if buying an ipad is an overkill for most people. I am pretty sure most people arent data scientist or machine learning engineer to need it?

There are many reasons why, but I feel like it's mostly just personal preference between iPadOS and Android. Both OSes have their own sets of pros and cons - Android is extremely customisable while iPadOS will integrate better with other Apple devices and arguably has better apps.

Also, the base model iPad is probably the best value in tablets, any cheaper tablet is probably going to be mediocre at best unless all you're going to do with it is content consumption.
(edited 1 year ago)
I noticed iPads are popular with people who like to take a lot of digital handwritten notes, because of good app support (GoodNotes, Onenote, Notability etc) and the Apple Pencil is really good (albeit expensive and sold separately). Also the iOS interface is popular and iPads have a good track record when it comes to reliability and performance compared to many Android tablets (cough cough Google Nexus).

I personally don't have one because I prefer using computers...but if I needed a tablet computer, I'd get an iPad over a mid-range Android tablet or Surface Pro anyday, despite not being the biggest fan of Apple as a company (I avoid iPhones like the plague).
UI is extremely easy to navigate. Operationally it’s smooth & intuitive.

It’s mixes smoothly with my OneDrive & iCloud drives perfectly.

For me it’s not about raw function but just the user-PC interaction which is very well done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending