The Student Room Group

applying to harvard from the uk

hi i’m in year 12 and hoping to apply to us universities next year along with ucas. my main focus is harvard who i’ll apply to with early app but i’m also looking into harvard and princeton but it’s less clear what their bursaries cover (if anyone has experience with this please let me know). my gcses were seven 9s, one 8, and two 7s. we haven’t been given predicted a levels yet but i assume two A*s and two As minimum. i just wanted to know if anyone had any advice/tips/experience/stories if anyone has been to an ivy league from the uk or has applied
are you rich?
Original post by username58299163
hi i’m in year 12 and hoping to apply to us universities next year along with ucas. my main focus is harvard who i’ll apply to with early app but i’m also looking into harvard and princeton but it’s less clear what their bursaries cover (if anyone has experience with this please let me know). my gcses were seven 9s, one 8, and two 7s. we haven’t been given predicted a levels yet but i assume two A*s and two As minimum. i just wanted to know if anyone had any advice/tips/experience/stories if anyone has been to an ivy league from the uk or has applied

There's a guide pinned at the top of the forum. It contains details on how to navigate the applications process. I highly suggest reading it, and then coming back with any further questions that it didn't answer
Original post by Anonymous
are you rich?

no lol, i’d qualify for a full needs blind scholarship to cover all costs, there’s no way i’d be able to pay for it myself
I'm a UK student who just got into Princeton this year, happy to answer any qs you might have about the application process. Princeton does absolutely have great financial aid, as good or better than Harvard (they have the highest endowment per student). This is pretty much the same at Harvard, Yale and Princeton, but if you have a combined family income of $65000 a year (£52700), with normal assets, you will go completely for free if you get in. Tuition, housing, all meals, travel and health insurance will be entirely paid by the university in grants you do not need to pay back. It's then a sliding scale from there, but basically if you're low income, or even middle-class by UK standards (I know of Americans who think of a $150000 a year income as middle class, but in the UK I'm pretty sure people would see that as loaded), it'll end up being free or very cheap indeed. Less rich universities have less good financial aid, but might also be easier to get into. It is absolutely worth applying, very unlikely for anyone to get with the insanely low admit rates, but I'd still encourage people to apply, and focus on the parts of their application they can control (good essays!). Good luck!
Original post by laurie63
I'm a UK student who just got into Princeton this year, happy to answer any qs you might have about the application process. Princeton does absolutely have great financial aid, as good or better than Harvard (they have the highest endowment per student). This is pretty much the same at Harvard, Yale and Princeton, but if you have a combined family income of $65000 a year (£52700), with normal assets, you will go completely for free if you get in. Tuition, housing, all meals, travel and health insurance will be entirely paid by the university in grants you do not need to pay back. It's then a sliding scale from there, but basically if you're low income, or even middle-class by UK standards (I know of Americans who think of a $150000 a year income as middle class, but in the UK I'm pretty sure people would see that as loaded), it'll end up being free or very cheap indeed. Less rich universities have less good financial aid, but might also be easier to get into. It is absolutely worth applying, very unlikely for anyone to get with the insanely low admit rates, but I'd still encourage people to apply, and focus on the parts of their application they can control (good essays!). Good luck!

Hi, I wanted to apply as this year US applications aren't based on SAT scores? Would I still need my final grades?
Admissions are never based on SAT scores- they're just a smallish part of the puzzle (though you're right that a lot of schools are test-optional still). You will need your GCSEs and predicted A-levels/IBs or whatever you're studying now. In general, you'll find plenty of information in the pinned guide in this forum- read that, and the discussion underneath, and come back with any questions you have afterwards. There's a lot of stuff there that you need to learn/digest first. GL

hi , firstly congrats on getting into princeton ! i'm planning to apply for US universities this fall but i'm worried my ec's aren't strong enough. i moved to a new sixth form, having been in my last school since year 7 , so i haven't had much time (esp with studies) to get myself out there . will this weaken me as an applicant ? or can i mention my previous ec's from year 10 up ?

Wow that's amazing, congrats on Princeton!
How did you prepare your essays and what did you do for extracurriculars?

Hi, Laurie! Once you got the offer from Princeton, did you have to meet conditions for your A Level grades? If you send them your final transcript and say, you got one B, would they have still let you in?
I’m not OP, but having one B definitely wouldn’t cause any problems. The general advice is to maintain a high level of academic standing, but I wouldn’t worry about getting rescinded, unless you start slipping to C grades.

Original post by casiofx-85gtplus
Hi, Laurie! Once you got the offer from Princeton, did you have to meet conditions for your A Level grades? If you send them your final transcript and say, you got one B, would they have still let you in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending