The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

How hard is it to get deferred entry?

I applied for IR at St. Andrews and got an unconditional, but I want to apply for deferred entry. At time of application, I couldn’t apply for deferred admissions because I was an international applying through Common App. However, I have had severe mental health issues, including a recent bipolar diagnosis. I’ve heard that it’s hard to apply for a deferral, and I’m afraid that the school will view my mental health negatively if I provide it as my reason. Obviously, I would include other facets, such as my employment and internship, but how likely am I to get it especially with the pandemic? How should I explain it on the form? The only factor in my favor is that I’m paying out of pocket, not from scholarship.
It may well be worth applying for it this year in particular since St A's and some other unis in the UK have been vastly oversubscribed. It may suit them to have you defer for a year. Also, if you cite and can provide evidence that it is for medical issues then that will likely help you too - they wouldn't want to discriminate or be seen to be prejudiced against those with health issues.

It can't hurt to ask. Call the Admissions Tutor for IR. And good luck - whether you go there this year or next, know that it's a great place and support for students is quite strong, esp with traditions like 'academic families' which help build relationships and friendships around you and between years. :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I applied for IR at St. Andrews and got an unconditional, but I want to apply for deferred entry. At time of application, I couldn’t apply for deferred admissions because I was an international applying through Common App. However, I have had severe mental health issues, including a recent bipolar diagnosis. I’ve heard that it’s hard to apply for a deferral, and I’m afraid that the school will view my mental health negatively if I provide it as my reason. Obviously, I would include other facets, such as my employment and internship, but how likely am I to get it especially with the pandemic? How should I explain it on the form? The only factor in my favor is that I’m paying out of pocket, not from scholarship.

I'm sorry to hear you've been going through a difficult time with your mental health and I hope you've got the right support in place now. I can only suggest contacting them and asking if you could speak with the team that supports students with health concerns. Tell them it's confidential but you would like some advice on what to do. I previously had a successful application with uni after having declared on my application that I had mental health concerns. I didn't explain in detail, but once I was on the course, I was contacted and asked for more information and had arranged an informal chat to find out how they could help support me. Soon after, the right support was put in place and it really did go a long way. The question I would be asking is... if they don't support students with mental health problems... would it be beneficial or detrimental to your health in the long run if you were chosen to study there?

*update: They said no :smile: I was told they were full already and to possibly try again in july. Have no idea what I'm going to do now.
*update: They said no :smile: I was told they were full already and to possibly try again in july. Have no idea what I'm going to do now.

I am sorry to hear that. I wonder, where are you and what makes you want to go to StA's? Would you be willing to withdraw your entry this year, then apply elsewhere for next year? It is an awful lot of investment if you may not be well enough to enjoy and truly exploit the experience.

Have you thought of other places for 2023?

Quick Reply

Latest